Which pond vac/muck vac should I buy

Reaction score
Hello,
I think I need to purchase a pond vac/muck vac. There a few that caught my eye. The "Pond o vac 4" seems to be the best, but very expensive.
Is there a cheaper alternative?
What do you all of you use?(if you use or used one)
Thanks,
Mike

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have the pond vac 3 sucks a lot of stuff out of the bottom. Has two chambers so it keeps sucking as the one is emptying out. Is expensive and I only use twice a year, in the spring and fall.

Reaction score
I like the shop vac idea because I already have one, but I would have to empty it every 2 minutes. The price is right though.
I just might break down and buy the pond o vac, but that's really not in my buget($350-$400)
Anyother ideas?
Thanks for the replies,
Mike

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
mikeinpgh said:
I like the shop vac idea because I already have one, but I would have to empty it every 2 minutes. The price is right though.
I just might break down and buy the pond o vac, but that's really not in my buget($350-$400)
Anyother ideas?
Thanks for the replies,
Mike

Mike if you already have a shopvac I would give it a try and see what you think before dropping that kind of money on a pond vac. One thing about the pond vac 3 that I have is that you are supposed to attach a bag to the outlet pipe on the vac to filter out all the debris is sucks up from the water. I guess you wouldnt have to do this if you have a place close to your pond to dump the sludge and water on your property. I do not so I have to use this bag and if can fill up pretty quickly causing you to have to shut it off after several minutes and empty the bag. Then somewhat filtered water of any sludge goes down a drainage pipe and out of my yard. I only use mine twice a year so no big deal, this will also drain a bit of water out of the pond so consider this one of your water changes. I take the sludge from the bag and put in my composter. Not sure if i explained my self clearly if not let me know.

Reaction score
taherrmann4 said:
Mike if you already have a shopvac I would give it a try and see what you think before dropping that kind of money on a pond vac. One thing about the pond vac 3 that I have is that you are supposed to attach a bag to the outlet pipe on the vac to filter out all the debris is sucks up from the water. I guess you wouldnt have to do this if you have a place close to your pond to dump the sludge and water on your property. I do not so I have to use this bag and if can fill up pretty quickly causing you to have to shut it off after several minutes and empty the bag. Then somewhat filtered water of any sludge goes down a drainage pipe and out of my yard. I only use mine twice a year so no big deal, this will also drain a bit of water out of the pond so consider this one of your water changes. I take the sludge from the bag and put in my composter. Not sure if i explained my self clearly if not let me know.

Good advice. I will try the shop vac first. I hope this will do the job I'm looking for.
Thanks,
Mike

Reaction score
Two minutes? Mine fills in about 30 seconds! If you can get someone to lug the dirty water to your garden (your plants will love you), the job isn't too bad. I dumped the tank into some buckets and had my husband water some plants last time, and I was done vacuuming in about 20 minutes. By myself, it took more than an hour.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if your gonna use a shop vac and dont like the emptying so often. why not take a 55 gal drum and cut a hole in the top to accept the shop vacs lid..thats where the motor and vaccuum assembly is any ways!

Reaction score
shakaho said:
Two minutes? Mine fills in about 30 seconds! If you can get someone to lug the dirty water to your garden (your plants will love you), the job isn't too bad. I dumped the tank into some buckets and had my husband water some plants last time, and I was done vacuuming in about 20 minutes. By myself, it took more than an hour.

LOL, That was definately an under estimate.
Actually I'm going to try one of those syphons they use for fish tanks. I think It's the same principle as the muck mac. I have to hook it up to a garden hose. I want the water to go back into the pond. I'll just run it through some quilt batting. This might take more time, but it's only $25. I'll also have to rig up an extension pole. I'm buying it this afternoon. I'll keep everyone posted. Just keep your fingers crossed.
Thanks,:rolleyes:
Mike

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i have a muc vac i'll let go for $40 plus shipping! they work rather well and displace pond water. so a lite vaccuuming on water change day helps kill 2 birds with one stone!... a small pond, especially a preformed would probably be well served by a muc vac....i just have to many plant pots and such in my pond..makes it hard to vaccuum and i pump the water from my pond to the basement pond every fall anyways so i can do a cleaning then.....you must have at least 50lbs of water pressure to use a mucvac or its performance may suffer!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
mikeinpgh said:
LOL, That was definately an under estimate.
Actually I'm going to try one of those syphons they use for fish tanks. I think It's the same principle as the muck mac. I have to hook it up to a garden hose. I want the water to go back into the pond. I'll just run it through some quilt batting. This might take more time, but it's only $25. I'll also have to rig up an extension pole. I'm buying it this afternoon. I'll keep everyone posted. Just keep your fingers crossed.
Thanks,:regular_waving_emot
Mike
Mike, I tried that, it didn't work very well at all, The suction didn't work very well on the pond as it is deeper than a aquarium and aquariums are in most cases higher and on stands and the gravity works for you better in a tank. I did however find if you use a inline pump you can use the siphon to suck from the bottom and it will pump out the Muck if it isn't to large. I didn't try to save the water, I always use it to water plants and top off with clean water. But it could be done if you really wanted to just like you said, By running the outlet end thru batting material.

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
Mike, I tried that, it didn't work very well at all, The suction didn't work very well on the pond as it is deeper than a aquarium and aquariums are in most cases higher and on stands and the gravity works for you better in a tank. I did however find if you use a inline pump you can use the siphon to suck from the bottom and it will pump out the Muck if it isn't to large. I didn't try to save the water, I always use it to water plants and top off with clean water. But it could be done if you really wanted to just like you said, By running the outlet end thru batting material.

Well...No that didn't work very good:banghead3: (the siphon thingy)
LOL I guess it's time to try the shop vac next.
Thanks for the replies. I'll keep you posted.
Mike

Ask a Question