addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Question for you Addy..How did you make your whiskey barrel bog?

I put your question here humbird.

I made them for one of my first ponds, years ago.

Took the 1/2 whiskey barrels.

Used a hole saw to put a 2 inch hole near the bottom for a drain and a hole for the water input. Used a ball valve to open and close the bottom drain.

The input line I put a T on it, split the flow to a few different places up through the gravel.

I took a piece of the light grid cut it to size, made a pvc frame about 3 inches off the bottom, above the bottom drain and the input line.
Covered the light gird with some nylon screening. Filled the barrel with pea gravel, almost to the top.

At the top of the barrel I hole sawed a 3 inch output, stuck in a piece of metal, curved, to make a out flow water fall. My late hubby was a machinist, he created it for me.

Planted the top of the barrel with plants.

This barrel water falled into a barrel below it, the bottom barrel was set up similar to the top but the water came in at the top and water falled into the pond from the bottom of the barrel.

To clean, the top barrel, I used the garden hose to back wash the gravel drained it out the bottom drain. The bottom barrel, I had it so I could shut off the flow into the pond and back wash the gravel out of the bottom drain.

At the same house we had a front yard pond, for that one I took a full whiskey barrel, bottom drain installed, water went in via the bottom up through the barrel (this one filled with lava rock) and out the top via a water fall back into the pond.

To clean, I just shut off the pond inflow, opened the bottom drain and back flushed the lava rock. This one was not really a bog lol.

Hope this makes sense.

H

humbirdlover

Thanks for moving it for me, now maybe I can go back and find it again, LOL and thank you so much for taking the time to explain, I know you are having a heron war and trying to get ready to co away. I'm trying to come up with a filter that looks nice, and this sounded good. I think our lowes carries the barrel insert, but finding a half barrel I can afford, might be another issue. the is a water feature place in H'burg that has them, but really expensive. May have to just use a cheaper container for now, and save up this winter :) Thank you again

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Any big planter (check wally world) that holds water will work. I paid (i think ) 19 bucks for some large planters from wally world that hold water, they would make nice filters. I have them with dirt and bog plants, since they hold water so well. I did not remove the bottom plug

When you get it home fill it with water, if it does not hold the water, take it back lol. I bought a fake whiskey barrel from lowes, drilled in the hole (for our deck pond) filled it with water it leaked everywhere, it was fiberglass. So check it first.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Somewhere on film, in a box. This is years ago The barrel in the back was on cinder blocks, covered with stones.

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    22 KB · Views: 378
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Mine was resin too. I got mine from Lowes. I think it was $39.

VeggieFilter2.jpg

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Meijers had some for $9 earlier this year. They are plastic and look like whiskey barrels are slightly smaller than a real barrel. This is only a top shot I don't have any of the side.
P1040129.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yeh i saw them at a store here they were black with a silver band .It was ollies discount store .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
DSC01959.jpg

DSC01962.jpg

this is the one we got from lowes, it leaked all over

H

humbirdlover

Think I'll hold off and go for the real deal later, they had a big stack of them. Might be hard to get a good seal on the wood anyway?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Think I'll hold off and go for the real deal later, they had a big stack of them. Might be hard to get a good seal on the wood anyway?

no worse than anything else, We drilled a hole in the whiskey barrel, stuck the pvc through and sealed it with goop. This is before I thought of using shower drains etc. it lasted for years. The only issue with the whiskey barrels, is you do not want them to dry out, the wood shrinks and they will start to leak and fall apart. This was a pond in arizona where it is very dry and hot, so keeping the barrels full of water was important.

Ask a Question