White spot

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hi forum,
It has been awhile since my lost post. I have this scales Shusui koi it's about 11-12 inches long. Couple of weeks ago I noticed that one by one, all my 9-12 inch koi have pink fins. No visible veins it's just that the fins have turned pinkish. I am attributing that to stress. There are 6 9-12 inch long koi in a 800 gallon pond, it's getting cramped. So I have made plans for a bigger pond, work should commence within a month or 2. Anyway back to the Shusui. For 2 weeks her fins have turned pink and I niticed that all her fins are a bit jagged at the ends. And I also noticed a small white lump in one of her fins. Thinking she would heal by herself, I let her be and completely forgot about it. Today I see that the spot is still there and the fins are the same nothing has changed. Nothing worsend of improved. What should I do. I always believe itself recovery and all my koi have recovered by themself without me using medication. I would really like her to do the same but I am not sure a koi can recover from a parasite attack. She is not flashing or any change in behaviour, eating well and swimming well. Please advice, can't reminder I am experiencing abit of a drought over here temperature of water can rise up to 34 degrees Celsius. Thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Can you post a few photo's of the tail of this koi Alp we also need to know if you have been tempted to break QT on any new fish .
Plus we need to know all the rest water perameters etc.
Koi can manage high temperatures quite well but you need to continue doing water changes throughout your drought if you possibly can.

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks Dave for your quick reply. Will try to provide a photo but it's not going to be easy. She hates staying still and loves to jump out of a huge tube that I use to closely observe some koi and ask to measure them. I have not added any fish since the arrival of her badge, so no new fish. Still do water changes every week and clean out all the sponges. Not sur about the water parameter though but I would say they are good, water is clear, no fishy smell and all aquatic plants are thriving. I did learn a local tip and tgat is to freeze a large container full of water nad just float it in the pond. I did do and the koi are a bit more active, and then out of the blue my Shusui scrapped her body against the pump twice, then she continued eating and never saw her do it again. Thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Not a problem Alp the quicker we get to the bottom of this he better for your koi eh my friend , have you thought about adding some shade to the pond say froma Parasol, we bought one that covers our pond completely by 1 m all around but it does still get some sun as thats important to the welbeing of our pond.
Another way to cool the air above the pond would be to employ a fountain however it would up the evaporation of water from your pond in doing so but so long as you keep your eye on the water levels you should be alright
Top marks for using a forgotton meathod of judging your water is alright by using your sinse of smell as recomended by the Author of Goldfish and koi ISBN 0862300207 Frank W Orme page 53 Chapter 8 Problems and Remedies .

Dave

Last edited:

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Have you tested your water for ammonia? I have read that a white fish is the first fish to take on a pink hue when stressed because of high ammonia levels.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thank you'll for your speedy replies. To Dave, I am actually going to construct a new pond and its is quite well shaded so I am not going to invest any more for this pond. . So will it be fine for me to just let my koi be and keep it under a close eye or do you suggest for me to take immediate action? Sorry can't provide a photo she just won't stay still for me to take a decent shot. To Cas, I have not checked my parameters, but it's not just one koi but all the large koi have the pink fins. Thank you'll wants again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hi all today checked back and everything looks well. The jagged fins are now nice round curves and the fins are back to her skin white. Very happy with her progress. Thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all today checked back and everything looks well. The jagged fins are now nice round curves and the fins are back to her skin white. Very happy with her progress. Thank you.
Alp I just caught this , fins do not go from being ragged to fixed in one or two days my friend it takes weeks for them to grow back to normal again.
Take a look at Zmans thread his fish has been growing a new tail for weeks now :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/ryukins-tail-missing.17022/

Slow as it may seem all fins grow at the same rate dependent on conditions

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh yeah, now that I took a longer look it still abit ragged. Maybe I got a bit excited. All is going well. Thank you.

Ask a Question