Whoop a Pond at last! Now what do I do with these plants!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my uncle donated some plants, I think they were just floating on his, one is oxygenating weed, the other a very pretty fern type leaves. The fern ones have long routes on them, should I anchor these to,the bottom of the pond?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Here you go, the heads close up in the dark I have noticed. I have edited previous post, makes sense now I have checked my typing!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 250

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That looks like parrot feather. Did it look like little tiny trees sticking out of the water? They are adorable. I just threw mine in the pond and they float around.
And LOL I read it like 3 times trying to figure it out. :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, rushing to do lots of things as always! Thanks for that, yes it does look like that, does yours close at night?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Been reading up on Parrot feathers and from April this year it has been banned in England and Wales to sell it! Good job my uncle had some because it is beautiful.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah they can be invasive here as well. Although so can WH and plenty of other plants that I've looked into for my pond. I think you just need to be responsible about where you put any extra cuttings.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You can put sedge and reed type plants in your pond also in pots. They are very good at keeping the pond clean of extra nutrients.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hope it does spread quick. I love it, so different, thanks for tip re winter, I am still in shorts here in England, it been a,lazing,y hot!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Lucky you w/ your warm temps. We are heading into Fall now and temps are falling. Still had some sun today tho and got to throw some mulch around it the gardens.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Parrots feather can be wintered in some milder zones like zone 6. I you think it will freeze then plant can be cut back and take pot inside for winter, in a puddle of water in a window.
Mine freezes up solid and comes back every year. I have some of it in a tiny stream water collection that freezes solid, the pf comes back every summer.

My pot of red stem pf has to be sank, it does not like being frozen. I just put it in the stock tank for the winter.

Ask a Question