Why can't I get my pond water clear!!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is 3,500 gallon outdoor pond with filter, skimmer box, uv light, and aerator. There are 8 koi and/or goldfish (largest is 12" and smallest is 7" along with 3" baby just discovered), frogs, aggressive toads, recently added three 4" plecos hoping they will munch on the algae, and a lotus plant. One of the fantails is presenting with multiple small lumps all over its body. I posted another thread about this issue several weeks back. All of the fish are eating and behaving normally from what I can tell. I feed them a handful of Hikari medium-size floating type pellets once or twice a day. I do a 30% water change once per week.

20160721_182917.jpg 20160721_182958.jpg 20160721_183032.jpg 20160721_183018.jpg 20160721_183433.jpg 20160721_183509.jpg 20160721_183858.jpg 20160721_183626.jpg 20160721_183544.jpg 20160721_183710.jpg 20160721_183101.jpg 20160721_183320.jpg 20160721_184310.jpg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
How recently did you add the 3 Plecos.

It appears to me that what you have is a 'Perfect Storm' for the proliferation of planktonic algae.
Your biofiltraion is obviously working efficiently in converting Ammonia ultimately to Nitrate, but with only one plant (and a slow grower at that) and the Plecos to reduce the attached algae growth, the only natural result can be planktonic algae.
My recommendations are to remove the Plecos (they are not likely to survive winters in your zone anyway), place more plants in the pond particularly submerged species and, if necessary, temporarily cut back on feeding, The will enable the pond to balance naturally with the water clearing of algae in a reasonable length of time..Also cease all water changes, these can only prolong the occurrence of the algae.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
You have a nice looking pond with quality equipment. Is the pond relatively new? I agree with above advice,it does take time for a pond to get established. I do water changes, not 30 %, but what is necessary to replenish water, after cleaning my large filter...usually about once a week. I feed my koi, once per day and lightly when temperatures are high.

I'm a believer that water movement and increased aeration, help clear water. I also added shade sails this year, to provide some shade.

Reaction score
Country
United States

It appears to me that what you have is a 'Perfect Storm' for the proliferation of planktonic algae.
Your biofiltraion is obviously working efficiently in converting Ammonia ultimately to Nitrate, but with only one plant (and a slow grower at that) and the Plecos to reduce the attached algae growth, the only natural result can be planktonic algae.
My recommendations are to remove the Plecos (they are not likely to survive winters in your zone anyway), place more plants in the pond particularly submerged species and, if necessary, temporarily cut back on feeding, The will enable the pond to balance naturally with the water clearing of algae in a reasonable length of time..Also cease all water changes, these can only prolong the occurrence of the algae.

I added the 3 plecos about 4 days ago. I forgot to mention I had added a water lilly as well but something ate all the leaves off. I don't know if it was the fish or the salts that I add to dechlorinate the water. Please recommend species of pond plants.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Some submerged plants to try would be anacharis and hornwort.

Does your pond have any shelves to place marginal plants on?

Reaction score
I added the 3 plecos about 4 days ago. I forgot to mention I had added a water lilly as well but something ate all the leaves off. I don't know if it was the fish or the salts that I add to dechlorinate the water. Please recommend species of pond plants.
What is this "salts" you are adding to dechlorinate the water???

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b

Where can you find these? Will they survive Koi? I would like to add some plants to my larger pond but lilies won't make it. The fish uproot them.

Reaction score
It's all about the correct uv light. A good light will clear the green up no matter what else is going on. I'm guessing that yours isn't working (the bulb will still be glowing) or the water is going through it too fast or it's just a cheaper bulb and you need a better quality one.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Where can you find these? Will they survive Koi?
I have a pond store around here where I get them. You can also order from http://www.lilyblooms.com/ .
I never have problems with my koi eating the plants. They will move dirt and stones out of the lily pots and root around in the submerged plants, but my plants always survive.

Reaction score
Country
United States

What about AlgaeFix just for a short term solution. I'm having out of town guest in a week and would like to be able to show off my pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States

No I dont have shelves. Maybe I could buy some. What are examples of some marginal plants? Is this the same as bog plants?

Ask a Question