Why didn't I set a timer???

Reaction score
My filter overflowed yesterday and my pond was down about 10 inches. So, I decided to fill it last night. Well, 10 hours later......I went adhead and threw in some dechlorinator but the fish are not looking happy this morning. They are all sitting on the bottom.
Should I do anything else??? other than getting a timer.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Many of our Koi have had a similar fate. If they are still swimming upright, you may have caught it in time. Keep us posted. There is nothing else I can think of except pray for the poor guys.
I use my smart phone that has a countdown timer and alarm now.

Reaction score
that was close......I have been out to my pond atleast 50 times today.
thank goodness I had a bottle of dechlorinator on hand. The fish were not active early but now that are eating there peas and fighting for the carrots.

lesson learned.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good rescue job! Those hose timers are about 9 bucks at homedepot. I love them they turn off for me, when I am watering plants I always forget to shut them off.

Reaction score
I can't believe (after reading this thead and thinking, "oh no, bad mistake!") I did this very same thing overnight! I woke up at 5:00 am today to the slight sound of water running. Panic! I'd put the hose in the pond at 6:00 last night. Ran out, shut off the water, came in and rumagged throught the "fish stuff" cabinet to find enough dechlorinator to treat just 1/10 the volume of my pond, which I dumped in in the darkness. :(

When it became light enough, I went out to find all my fishes on the bottom, not swimming around, but alive. I have a fish supply store one minute from my house, but they don't open until 10:00!

At 10:00 I was in the store, and out in a couple of minutes with enough dechlorinator. Flew home, measured, dumped. By then it was bright and sunny, but all the fish were still on the bottom, when normally they would be up and about begging for food.

Wait and watch....by 1:00, they were starting to move! 2:30 came around, and most of them had made it close to the surface. I put a little food in, which they barely noticed.

Right now it's 4:15 pm, and I just checked on the pond. The fish are all up and about, but are still not 100% active. I tossed in a bit of food, and each of them seemed to get a bite, but not beg for more. Bet they are not feeling very good yet. It's still not over, but I now think that this will have a happy ending.

I have had this pond for 11 years, and never have I let this mistake happen before. From now on, a timer will be set, and my smart daughter suggested that I lay the hose across my front steps so I have to trip over it to get back into the house. This could work for others, depending on your house/hose/pond location!

Thanks for listening, I've been stressing out over this and got long-winded!

Diane

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I turned on my front sprinklers the other night
I Remembered it was running when i woke up

Reaction score
3qtkidz said:
My filter overflowed yesterday and my pond was down about 10 inches. So, I decided to fill it last night. Well, 10 hours later......I went adhead and threw in some dechlorinator but the fish are not looking happy this morning. They are all sitting on the bottom.
Should I do anything else??? other than getting a timer.

Hey thanks 3qtkidz!

Right after I read your post I went out and bought a timer at HDepot. Well today hours after I completely forgot that I had the water running I was saved by that timer.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have timers on my garden hose(s), i.e. turn on and off at certain times. But if I do a manual override, which with this heat i do, they will only run for 1/2 hour then turn off. Saved me many times. esp with a well. I have 7 hoses stretched out to try and save our plants.

I have one hose timer that is just for turning off the hose automatically, can't live without them.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The gills of your Koi are no doubt burnt from the chlorine. I am not sure if they repair themselves or have diminished capacity.

Maybe someone else will know. I am anxious to hear from any knowledgable sources.

I am happy to hear they survived. I know as I get older, it is easy to forget these things. My wife is always on alert for my moments.

Ask a Question