Will my pond breather fail in extreme cold?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
Hello everyone,
The current temperature outside with the windchill is -38C. I can see that the tube in my pond breather is starting to fill with water, im worried that the ice will freeze under the breather tube and then just start pumping all the water out. Has anyone had an issue with this? What happens when the ice gets thicker that the tube is long?...Im also worried that the pond will just freeze completely solid. The temps will be warmer by Monday so I just need to get through this weekend, anyone have any tips on stopping a raised pond from freezing solid?
Im so worried, I have had my koi for years in my indoor pond, I would be devastated if they all died in their first winter outside. Im home all weekend so im willing to do whatever I need to. Any advice would be much appreciated.
-38.JPG
view from my kitchen..JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Need more info like size and depth of the pond. Is it like he picture showing, above ground pond? What's the freeze line? Do you have it covered?

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
From Newmarket.

If you're worried, go boil yourself a kettle of water and pour it on the ice around the breather. Keep doing it until you've melted your way through the ice.

Most likely is that hole in the ice is only the diameter of the heating wire, which limits the flow of water back down below the ice. Next year, put a couple of zip-ties around the breather tube to hold the heating cable taut against the breather tube.

You most likely have nothing to worry about, but do the kettle thing to put your mind at rest. You'll see what I mean after you've done it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
Need more info like size and depth of the pond. Is it like he picture showing, above ground pond? What's the freeze line? Do you have it covered?
Its 4' deep. 2' above ground & 2' below. 12'x8'. Its not covered. Its the same pond as the pics.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
From Newmarket.

If you're worried, go boil yourself a kettle of water and pour it on the ice around the breather. Keep doing it until you've melted your way through the ice.

Most likely is that hole in the ice is only the diameter of the heating wire, which limits the flow of water back down below the ice. Next year, put a couple of zip-ties around the breather tube to hold the heating cable taut against the breather tube.

You most likely have nothing to worry about, but do the kettle thing to put your mind at rest. You'll see what I mean after you've done it.
Thanks, I just poured few kettles of water on the breather open a hole around it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
do you have a back up pond heater ,sorry but for the price I do not trust those things .I saw a few really bad reviews on them

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think you'll be ok. This is my second winter with a breather, so I am no expert, but I am in zone 5 and mine made it through last years bitter cold stretch just fine, and doing great in this one too. We aren't as cold this year but we did have -25°F windchills this morning and hasn't gotten much warmer all day.

Sometimes my tube fills a little with water too, but nothing has ever happened. Eventually I'll look out and see that it's lowered back down. I also wondered why it does that, but it's never caused me any problems, and has never overflowed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
There are several members here, that use the Pond Breather in very cold climates, and have no problems. I'm using one this winter, but also have a floating de-icer and an aerator going. Hope this cold snap passes quickly!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Here they are saying by tuesday the warmer weather returns so hoping every one will be getting it also .Can't complain though because the winter has been really mild .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
I agree with the suggestion about freeing up some of the ice around it with hot water. Also, we use one of those high-watt de-icers and they work very well keeping a hole open in the ice even in the worst winter conditions. The drawback, of course, is that they use a lot of electricity, so I use them only when absolutely necessary.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I wonder how long that plastic will last with out cracking under extreme conditions and what will happen when or if it cracks .

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The plastic won't crack, Sissy. There's no reason for it to crack, it's a hollow tube, open at both ends.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Sadly, that is what happened to mine in the winter of 2015, multiple cracks. I was refunded my money , as they said it was defective. I've had no problems with my new one this winter.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I wondered about plastic as it fails over time from cold and wonder how they have made this plastic strong enough that it will last several winters .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My two are doing fine, no cracks, no clogs, no issues, just working away keeping my fish happy. This is the second winter with them. Last winter was the tough one, pond ice around 18 inches thick. This winter, not sure how thick. No where close to 18 inches.

Ask a Question