Will the store bought Lilies, Iris, and dwarf cattail sprout if tuber is dried out?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
The nice lady at the fleamarket the other day gave me three boxes of the topfin brand "hardy water plant collection" because all the tubers were dried out. (The variety pack they sell at the pet store) She thought they might still sprout but didn't want to sell them. Not being one to turn down something for free I took them home. A couple seemed to have rotted away and vanished completely from that coconut straw. . But the remaining tubers about 9 are all pretty firm and completely dry. Am I wasting my time trying to get them to sprout? Can't seem to find an answer.. I think I have iris lilies and cattails.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Doesn't sound too good but if they are still firm I'd give them a try. Instead of potting them all up try just sticking them in some water and see if they sprout at all.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yep, as the others have said, try it out. Sometimes plants can do interesting and amazing things. If not, at least they were free!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
My lone lil lilly started out as one of the types you have. I got mine from Lowes, the first one didn't do anything for a month, so I took it back and got another and it started to grow in a couple of weeks, so I agree, toss the bag in and see what comes up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
We've got some drainage ditches around here that go Serengeti dry at times, and yet the arrowheads and full sized cattails are there every year. You might be surprised to see that there's life in them after all. Heck, they were free. I know I'd give them a go :)

Reaction score
I had a night blooming lily in the pond that I thought had died, so I pulled it out. It was left in the sun and heat for several days. Then I decided to try dropping it, no pot, just bare into a smaller pond. Its growing great now. And I really thought it was dead.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Weve had tubars dry before and once water hits them they have leapt back to life , you can but try and see if yours will do the same .
I've always wondererd how flea markets got called that , what did they do to get that title

Dave

Aaron S

K5ATG
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
I've always wondererd how flea markets got called that , what did they do to get that title

Dave

Back in the day flea circuses were big. Every little town and hamlet had to have one of their own. Fleas became very expensive so one day this guy came across a field full of fleas. He knew that he just could not take them to the pet store and sell them because of all of the laws that were in place at the time that protected the rights of fleas. So he set up a market where he was selling used stuff from around his house. Then circus owners were given a password and when they went to his market and said the password, they would be shown special merchandise that was kept in the guys trunk.
Unfortunately the life span for fleas in the circus was pretty short so these special markets appeared all over the place. Well circus owners started complaining that they didn't know which of these markets had fleas for sale so they got together with everyone, and the ones that sold the fleas were called Flea Markets (this was an attempt to hide it is plain sight) and the markets that did not sale fleas were called Swap Meets. Unfortunately animal activists like P.E.T.A. (People Eating Tasty Animals) put an end to flea circuses. So as the circuses shut their doors the now homeless fleas had to find a place to live, so they set their homes up mobile style on the backs of dogs and cats all over the world. To this day if you take a dog or cat to the flea market, the fleas will get excited thinking back to their glory days.
(I have no clue, I'm just making it up as I go but it does sound cool)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Give them a try, why not? toss in some water and see what happens
Hey Addy,

I think one of the white lilies I got from you has bloomed quite a bit. I guess the other colors got off to a rough start. But I have enjoyed them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Well I am updating this faster than I expected. I put all the tubers in this clear 5 inch tall pan yesterday. Today, I was glad I didn't put them in the pond because the water was a very dark tannon color. Dumped the water out. Two of the tubers that were hard as rocks yesterday were complete mush today. I tossed those. I am now left with what I think are the iris and cattail tubers and maybe one lily tuber.

Aaron, wow.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hey Addy,

I think one of the white lilies I got from you has bloomed quite a bit. I guess the other colors got off to a rough start. But I have enjoyed them.

Mine were real slow to take off, I did groom them heavy and it has been a cool wet summer.

Ask a Question