JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Last year I heard about a small business located in Eagle, Wisconsin called Windy Oaks Aquatics that sells pond plants and fish. I was curious so I checked it out last summer while I was camping at a nearby campground and was surprised to see it packed with plants. I went back today and decided to write a little about it. I got a pamphlet and I took a few photos as well.

DSCN5047.png

I counted about 5 or 6 display ponds and water features on their property. It was really cool seeing their own plants growing in their ponds.
DSCN5032.jpg

DSCN5033.jpg

They have many species of plants for sale. In fact, I have yet to find another place in southeastern Wisconsin that even comes close to the variety here. Last summer they had 7 or 8 greenhouses full of plants.
DSCN5030.jpg

Today they didn't have too many since its so early in the season, and I heard they lost quite a few due to how bitterly cold this winter was. Having been there last summer, I know their greenhouses are packed full. Here are two of about 8 or 9 pages of plants they carry:
DSCN5048.jpg

DSCN5049.jpg

They also sell fish. I can't remember every type, but they ones I remember seeing listed were Koi, Butterfly Koi, Shubunkin, Comets, and Bull Frog Tadpoles. I know they had one or two other kinds as well.

They're own ponds bring in a lot of wildlife too including turtles and frogs.
DSCN5034.jpg

When it comes down to my personal review, its pretty simple. As I said, no other business in the area carries the variety of plants this place does. Its always nice finding a local business like this because they know what they're talking about and they care about what they're doing. They seemed to be really kind and helpful, which alone makes me appreciate their business so much more. Their plants and fish were both really healthy looking. I'd say this is definitely a place to check out if you're in the area. I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for and likely a lot that you didn't even plan on!

Unfortunately they do not currently have a working website. We went not knowing their hours or phone number at the time. As it turned out, they were closed (they're only open 3 or 4 days a week) but still gladly allowed us to look around and select what we wanted.

DSCN5050 copy.jpg

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We are thinking of going on vacation up by the apostle island sea caves in august and might have to stop by on the way home. I wish there was a place like that around my neck of the woods. Do their prices seem reasonable?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I can't remember what she said but I think she said they were open Wednesday-Saturday or Wed-Sun, so if any of you plan to head there keep that in mind or call the number listed on that photo to find out for sure.

Do their prices seem reasonable?

Yeah, I think so. Looking at the pamphlet, most prices are listed up to $10, with lotuses and lilies being more.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
neat info and sounds like a place we have here called springdale water gardens .They have an online store also .They are in Greenville VA in the Shenandoah Valley and what a place to visit pond after pond after pond and gardens and plants and pots also .I went there but forgot my camera .But they have an online store also .

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Not to mention as I was checking out, the woman that was checking me out went around back and came back with some Hornwort, said I could have it for free! Very nice of her since I lost a lot of mine over winter and needed to replace it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Sounds like a cool place JB. love to see how the plants look growing in the pond. Would be about a 5 hour drive for me. Don't think hubby would be on board driving that far to buy pond plants. :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Worth the drive ~ come Spring. I was here maybe 15 years ago and hope to go again this year. Prices are very good.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It's a bit of a trek for us in the UK, (and Border Control wouldn't let us bring plants into the country.)
It's great to find a supplier who has turned an interest and love of plants into a business. I'd much rather deal with some-one who knows their subject and has a passion for it that some-one who "runs the till".

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good to hear from you CeejayH across the ocean wide ~ we have snow here in WI today. Beautiful but heavy to shovel and probably dangerous road conditions.
My Koi are in the basement in two livestock tanks waiting for Spring. I enjoy seeing them happy in their Winter home. I have an unrealted question to ask you. I would like to order a catalog that you may be familiar with, called Sarah Raven at Sarahraven.com when I put in the order with my name and address it calls for my postcode. I assumed that meant my zip code but it will not take it. I have gotten a catalog from them before...... so what do think postcode means if not zip code? Sara Raven has beautiful dahlias and sweet peas and ....... I could go on ......
Oh well ...... the supplier mentioned above, Windy Oaks, is in southern WI. What I like about it is that she has waterlilies growing in the greenhouses so when I buy one in the spring ~ it is already in bloom ! I get a jump start on the gardening season. Colder here than in UK I am sure. I am in zone 4.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to order a catalog that you may be familiar with, called Sarah Raven at Sarahraven.com when I put in the order with my name and address it calls for my postcode. I assumed that meant my zip code but it will not take it. I have gotten a catalog from them before...... so what do think postcode means if not zip code? Sara Raven has beautiful dahlias and sweet peas and ....... I could go on ......

JoAnn,
Post code is the same as the US Zip Code.
Sarah Raven is very popular here. I've checked their web site and they don't deliver outside for the UK/Europe. Most seed suppliers won't in case they fall foul of Importation restrictions.

Ask a Question