Winterizing a raised pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
Long time fish keeper but first time pond owner. Build a raised 8'X12' raised wood pond using 4x4s back in June. its 4' deep, but only 2' under ground in Scarborough Canada. I am going to run a bubbler at the surface to keep the ice open and then when its starting to get really cold put a de-icer in. 5 koi, 30 goldfish & turtle. I have the following concerns;

1- The pond is 4' deep but only 2' are under ground. Will the pond freeze solid even with a de-icer?

2 - I just took my tropicals and turtle inside this weekend, but im thinking they could of went a few more weeks..? What is the latest in the season I can leave umbrella palms, Australian lilies and a red eared slider turtle outside.

3 - will fancy tailed gold fish and black moores survive under the ice?

4 -Any thing different with a wooded raised pond that I should be considering?

5 - Any special tricks for keeping the ice open during the really cold months?

Sorry for all the questions I figured its best to get it all out there at once.

Cheers

Attachments

• image1 - Copy.JPG
    image1 - Copy.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 3,473
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    298.5 KB · Views: 6,509
Reaction score
In cold climates above ground pools and ponds are particularly hard to keep warm and ice free during the coldest months of the year

1- The pond is 4' deep but only 2' are under ground. Will the pond freeze solid even with a de-icer? The best you can hope for with a de-icer is to keep a small hole open in the ice right where the de-icer is.

2 - I just took my tropicals and turtle inside this weekend, but im thinking they could of went a few more weeks..? What is the latest in the season I can leave umbrella palms, Australian lilies and a red eared slider turtle outside. No comment.

3 - will fancy tailed gold fish and black moores survive under the ice? Both are more fragile then your regular Comet goldfish, but if you keep the water quality high and well oxygenated they'll have a fair chance.

4 -Any thing different with a wooded raised pond that I should be considering? I don't know if you did this, but I would have insulated the walls under the liner with at least 2" high density Styrofoam insulation. .

5 - Any special tricks for keeping the ice open during the really cold months? You could also cover the wood with black plastic to better warm the pond in the sun, and cover the pond with clear poly to build a temp greenhouse over the pond to hold the heat in

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
Thanks for the response. In regards to your answer for my first question. Isn't a small hole where the de-icer is all I need? Assuming the water quality is good as long as there is a hole in the ice (and enough room for the fish) the koi will survive right? Im just wondering that since its only 24" below ground will the entire pond freeze almost solid with only a small melted hole where the de-cer is?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a or 7b
Country
United States
4" off wood is a "decent" insulator. You could surround the pond with hay/straw bales. Maybe cover the top of the pond with an insulated lid. Something to cross the span (4x4's), board insulation, or maybe plywood and more hay bales.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
Thank you...So if line the raised part of the pond with bags of leaves or 2" Styrofoam insulation, insulate the top & keep a hole in the ice open will the odds be in my favor that the fish will survive? Some posts I see it sounds like its always a huge risk keeping them in the pond over winter. I only ask because I've had a few of the koi for years now in an indoor pond and I would hate to kill them now after I've watched them grow from babies. I think I might bring the few koi in for the winter and see how the goldfish do outdoors.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
You pond looks fairly well protected from the wind, so that will help.
I'm not familiar with how cold it gets in Scarborough. Check what the frost line is in your area.
I would suggest insulating the walls, putting on a plastic cover that can handle your snow load (but don't seal it too tight), and use a pond breather for aeration.
For any tropical fish, check what your water temperature is and make sure you bring them inside before it gets too low for the species.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
How cold does it get in your area? I have a 10x10 raised pond that is 75% above ground built from 2x12s. It freezes over about 6" thick but that's it. Use a floating deicer as well as a pond breather.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
My pond is completely above ground. I just run a couple of air stones and a 750 watt de-icer and my fish are fine. I keep my fan tails out there all winter too. My walls were made like stud walls though and I used 3" rigid insulation in them. I don't cover the top because once you get a layer of ice on the surface it will keep it fairly insulated. It was actually rare last year for me to have anymore than 40% ice coverage.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
colleen in Canada is a good source of info and i know she uses pond heaters and her ponds are half above and half below ground

Reaction score
Country
United States
My pond is completely above ground. I just run a couple of air stones and a 750 watt de-icer and my fish are fine. I keep my fan tails out there all winter too. My walls were made like stud walls though and I used 3" rigid insulation in them. I don't cover the top because once you get a layer of ice on the surface it will keep it fairly insulated. It was actually rare last year for me to have anymore than 40% ice coverage.
Where are you located and how cold does it get in winter?

Ask a Question