winterizing plants

Reaction score
I know that it is only August, but witers have been known to start in September here in Colorado. I had a pond previously when I lived in Las Vegas but I never had to worry about witerizing anything there.
Does anyone know the process for witerizing your plants?
I know that my lillies will just go dormant over the winter but I also have a few moderate plants. I don't know what they are, but does anyone know how I can keep them from dying off when the cold weather hits?

Reaction score
;) If the plants are of the hardy type then just cut them back and put them in the deep part of the pond. Keep an air pump going to keep an open space in the ice. Then cover it or just wait for spring. Utah winters can be very cold and long.:profile:

Reaction score
I looked them up, one is a dwarf umbrella palm which is a tropical plant and the other is a lizards tail which is a hardy.
I guess I will put both of them in the deep part and see what survives in the spring.
What have you had the best luck with surviving the wintertime?

Reaction score
All of my plants are of the hardy kind. arrowhead plants and water celery,
Chara and elodia for under water. Lilies, sedge and mimi cattails. Some water iris and switch grass. Got a pot of pond smartweed will grow in or out of the water, bog beans and picker.

Reaction score
looks like this

Attachments

• 100_1047.jpg
    100_1047.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 458
  • 100_1054.jpg
    100_1054.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 418
  • DSCF0024.jpg
    DSCF0024.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 406

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I'm thinking about building a hot house for my plants. never done it before, but it should not be that difficult.

Reaction score
Hey DrDave,
For a few years now I've been bringing my non-hardy plants inside and putting them in a kiddie pool under a flourescent light down cellar. The only problem I seem to have is every year I lose at least a couple plants (usually my favorite or most expensive). Last winter I lost a so-called "hardy" banana and two different taros.

I would really appreciate it if you could keep us updated on your progress with your hot house.

Ask a Question