1.0's half barrel aquatic eden "Serenity"

Reaction score
Hello, if you did remember I posted an introduction thread a few months ago, the pond is quite different, and it's about to get even more different!
I had...
Equipment-
Small fountain pump w/sponge filter
Small heater for winter
Plants-
1 Small lily -Grown from a bulb, fast grower, showing great color
1 Larger lily -Beautiful, we just bought it, leaves 6in across!
1 Rush of some type, I forget, I'll check later
1 Water lettuce
1 Water Hyacinth
Some hornwort
Some terrestrial moss on a piece of driftwood
Fish-
None, but plan to have 3 goldies
Other fauna-
A frog who visits every once and a while
Some (Soon to be devoured) Mosquito larvae
What's gone-
The driftwood, well it's in there, just on the bottom, out of sight. Lol
Water lettuce, started flourishing but then once it got kinda hot and temps were all over it's now a few sad roots and leaves, however the Hyacinth did really well :confused:
Mosquito larvae- drowning them was fun!
Hornwort, gave it off, all it did was collect small particles of mud etc.
What's been added-
More rocks/wood- just to hide those ugly pots.
I added a liner when the damn barrel started to leak, so far so good, although I think I'll put a bit of super glue around the edges just for safety.
A couple of marginals, I'll get the names later, one is a rush with stripes, another is quite small and has a very unusual leaf color, almost a yellow-green, about to flower too! My favorite is this cool one with red/green leaves and it bolts up when it flowers, and the flowers themselves are a bright vermillion-red! I also added some parrots feather, which has been thriving. Great plant, I love how soft the leaves are, like the aquatic version of lambs ear.
The water lilies are doing good, I trimmed the big leaves and new ones came within 1-2 days, and they now get more light so maybe, just maybe they'll flower for me :coolgleema:
I plan on adding a small goldie and see if he/she does well, if the fish does well I'll get rid of him/her and get an oranda, followed by a shubunkin (Spelling?), I really like the London (Can't get London's though) but the Bristol is also pretty beast, so yeah. That's pretty much it. I'll get the pics up later as Iphoto decided to hate me today :grumble:
Also, I know goldies are carp, so they naturally feed of the bottom of the pond/tank, but how deep should the gravel layer be?
Thanks for any help/input :)
~Shane

Reaction score
Water canna (I think) Has sent up two 10 inch shoots overnight! That practically a world record, the lily is sending up more leaves than ever thanks to the ferts, all the plants are doing very well :) I also have a question- I've seen some worm like fauna in the lilies pot, they ar e1/2-1.25 inches long, constantly wiggle and are white. There are only a few. Does anyone have any idea of what these may be?

Ask a Question