1 koi lethargic 4 fine???

Reaction score
I'm not sure what is going on here. I have five 7in Koi. They have all acted the same until two days ago. I now have one that doesn't swim around much and is not that interested in food. When he does attempt to eat he is not very accurate with the attempt to get his mouth to the food. Looking at him he looks as healthy as he always has. It is just his lack of energy and coordination when trying to eat. His eyes do look clear.

Thanks.....

Reaction score
I guess he must be feeling better. He is now starting to swim with the rest of the fish more often. He is also more interested in feeding. He gets about 4 pellets a day. Most of the attempts at food hit the top of his head. It is almost like he can see from far away and really struggles up close. Maybe he just needs some glasses. :beer:

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

I tested the water as soon as I noticed this strange behavior. It tested normal in ph, phos, ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite.I also tested my tap water and did a small water change. The fish is almost back to his normal behavior now. He still misses the food 50% of the time. It looks like he just doesn't open his mouth very wide compared to the rest of the fish. I did start dropping some worms and grubs into the pond and the fish went nuts!! I thought this would be a good little supplement for this one fish, unfortunately once the rest got word of worms they were begging for more. It was fun to watch them with the worm in their mouth being chased by the rest , trying to get at whatever was hanging out.

Reaction score
My fish has always been like tht he misses his food I haven't been tht worried cause he usually does end up getting some food

Reaction score
That's good to hear that someone else has a fish with the same issue. My little guy is starting to do better everyday. His strikes at the food are more on target. It is still behaving different than the rest though. After a couple pellets he goes deeper in the pond and chills while the rest of the little pigs have a feeding frenzy.

Ask a Question