10,000gph pump recommendation

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm looking for a 10,000gph pump that's energy efficient, and also reliable, anyone have a suggestion?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
above or submerged
Better submersible,that's what I've always had and trust, but I'm willing to consider an outside pump if it saves me a considerable amount of money.

@sissy , I've already told hubby to check into the "Laguna" brand, I remember you recommending it in another thread, but can it run 24/7 365 days?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Lisak1 reason why I asked if it could run all year long, is because I thought that external pumps cannot run in the winter.
I'm not even sure how it would even work an external pump with a skimmer? Like I said I know nothing about external pumps, the exposed plumbing have always made me nervous thinking of the extreme temps we have here

This question is for the pond we are building.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
reason why I asked if it could run all year long, is because I thought that external pumps cannot run in the winter.

Oh, gotcha!

Most skimmers have a port that you can use for an external pump. You just plumb it in from the back or side.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I can't speak from experience but if a flex line say 2 inch is exposed but has 3000 gph rushing through it I don't think freezing will be an issue. look at any stream or river if the water is moving and moving fast it doesn't freeze only the surface between the moving water and the air freezes creating a tunnel/ igloo.
as to the pump Baldor is renown throughout the plumbing world for water pumps but they don't make the motors I found performance pro uses these pumps and that said to me that they cared about there quality and at 12,000 gph it has to be a good design and quality. the pump it's self is extremely quiet as my room fan is louder. longevity I can speak for by experience. there are videos on my blog going for it 12000 gallon pond in the construction forums

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I always use 2 pumps one goes out you have back up .I have had mine running since 2014 and not one problem but I do clean the cages around them every couple of months .External pumps have warnings on them about certain temps .Thing is most have it in the book that comes with the pump but most do not say it in the description online .I never hear my pumps and barely hear the aerator since insulated the house it lives in but left the bottom of it open and it sits on a cushioned rubber mat .I know jw has the 4200 gph one but not sure she has a watt tester .Mine test under 100 watts .The 2400 gph uses 45 watts and the last time I checked the 2900 gph one was using 65 watts .The bigger the hose the less wattage they use and they have gotten more energy efficient.Mine came with a 4 year warranty

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I The bigger the hose the less wattage they use and they have gotten more energy efficient.Mine came with a 4 year warranty
Do you mean the 3" hose?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 1 1/2 inch hose on mine because the pumps are not as big ,Not sure what size jw has .I use sump pump hose and most of that hose is 1 1/4 inch but plumbing supply place has bigger sizes up to 3 inch here .The fittings for pvc fit sump pump hoses

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't think Laguna makes a pond pump that will work for a 10,000gph pond.
I just wrote about this in my thread. Given that the 4250 gph Laguna runs at 160 watts i would run two of those and this way you could literally cut the flow and power in 1/2 as needed or desired.if you intend to push that much water i would not recommend anything less than 3" pipe to reduce flow restriction.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you read lagunas sight they tell you the pumps can use less energy if kept clean and found the bigger the hose the less energy they use .I have always used 2 pumps because of the I don't know why this happened and pump went out .But so far I have been really happy with my laguna's

Ask a Question