100 gallon pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 100 gallon pond (no fish) and from what I've read I should use a 50 GPH submersible pump. I really only want to keep the water circulated so it's not breeding mosquitoes (nothing fancy). When I plugged in the 50 GPH pump it barely circulates the water. What size pump would you recommend, 100 GPH? I'm obviously new to this. Thanks for your help in advance.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
and some times may be cheaper to run but if you want a fountain then not as good

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I started with a 35 gallon tub and a 260 gph pump. I didn't feel that was too much water movement in a little fountain. Neither did the fish. But with what you have, just get what looks nice to you. You can probably find a 200-300 gph pump with a dial to restrict flow if you find it's too much.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The amount of water flow depends on the diameter of your tubing, the length of the tubing, and how high the water goes before it water flows out. This is referred to as the head. 50 gph may not be 50 gph.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Since you don't have fish, I don't think it matters. I had a 250 GPH pump for my 3500 GPH pond forever until I added fish. You just want something to move the water around so it doesn't stagnate.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What would you guys think is a suitable GPH pump? The 50 GPH offers almost zero water flow

Ask a Question