1000L Garden pond do i really need a filter ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20210721_185850.jpg

This is my small garden pond I've had the treated tap water in for about 2 months now. About 3 days ago I've added 3 goldfish they seam to be all very happy and feeding well. I'm here to ask if I need a filter or will the fish be okay. The water is fairly clear atm but not sure how it's going to last. Any input would be really helpful as I'm new here.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Anytime you can add movement to a water feature, it’s a good thing. Even just a small pump with a small fountain would work.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1626897351178.gif
and welcome @Niick141
You don't have to but you will have to do a water in, water out deal a lot once those fish start to regularly dirty it up. Might be easier to add a small filter. Do you have electric nearby or a very long extension cord?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
View attachment 141224
This is my small garden pond I've had the treated tap water in for about 2 months now. About 3 days ago I've added 3 goldfish they seam to be all very happy and feeding well. I'm here to ask if I need a filter or will the fish be okay. The water is fairly clear atm but not sure how it's going to last. Any input would be really helpful as I'm new here.
So, I’m relatively new to ponding but wanted to chime in since I also have a small pond. I have a 300 gal/1135 L pond and at least for my setup I have a hard time imagining what my pond would look like without a pump with filtration system (in my case, two small self contained bog filters that waterfall back into the pond, I don’t use any filtration commercial products, just the gravel and plants in the bogs). My water is crystal clear even with a lot more fish than you have. I would guess we aren’t in the same climate, but I tried having a outdoor quarantine tub without any real filtration (just a small fountain pump to aerate the water) this spring and just one small fish at a time and within a couple of weeks it was turning into a pea soup mess. Since your pond is a tub and not a natural pond, you don’t have a big ring of marginal plants whose roots and the bacteria and soil around the roots are cleaning the water for you, so even though a little natural pond might not need filtration, I would bet a Dollar or two that you are going to need something sooner or later. Goldfish are famous for being very “dirty” fish (they have thick bodies so a lot more volume for length than some other fish, grow fast, eat fast, and poop a lot).

Good luck, and hopefully I’m wrong

Last edited:

Ask a Question