11' x 12' hole

Reaction score
I would suggest building the pond ($500) and getting the plants in the pond, add koi next year. You will need the plants to support a proper eco system. Why not take this season as the opportunity to get the water, plants, and filtration working well and then add the fish!

roscogruen said:
all,
my gf set me to digging a backyard pond. i've pulled out about a dumptruck full so far. i asked he to please look into supplies as i dug over the last two days. it is her spending the $. i'm just doing the work. 12hrs so far.
anyhow, feeling this would add up to be some serious $ i looked up and found that a pond to support Koi would be 3' deep and this pond, with the shelving she wants, will be about 3,000 gallons. from online pricing, i'm guess a minimum of $2000 to get a bare-bones Koi pond. i told her this and she said put the dirt back. this doesn't include the waterfall she wants.
i'm pretty at a loss as to how to feel about all the work and then just pulling the plug. :banghead3:

she then said $500 is my limit. i'm saying my limit is her not participating and she puts dirt back.

any thoughts as to how a koi pond can be built for under $500?

Reaction score
Jack,
I've no plans on putting fish or plants in. i'm focused on justifying digging a hole this big. if i can't come up with a pond system for under $500, i've destroyed the backyard that i've put so much work into over time and all for no reason/purpose. right now, i'm at $538 + tax (shipping included).

Reaction score
koiguy1969,
it will be the, heyyy, are you shane, on youtube? with the Paintball bucket skimmer?

it is a koi pond for girlfriend.

BBK

Reaction score
Buy local! I bought mine from lows for way cheaper than any of the online stores. Its the thickest they make and is HEAVY. The shipping on it is going to be crazy expensive. I think mine weighed around 80lbs.

Reaction score
roscogruen said:
Koikeeper,
thank you for the information. the hole will be 12'x12' and the hole 3' deep. this means i'll need a 22'x22' sqft piece of epdm, 45mm. it is necessary to jump up to a 25'x25' piece of epdm because of limited size avaibility.

if you see this a 25'x25' piece that is awesome.

all help is appreciated.
A 25' x 25' weighs 188lbs so not knowing where you live and zip it is hard for us to help as it will have to be shipped by freight.

roscogruen said:
plan for pond - 12'x12'; 2' at waterfall & 3' at far end.

pondliner.com is very expensive! usually by $100

justliners.com is by far the cheapest liner distro ($371 w/ shipping for 25'x25').
Maybe it is for you cause the shipping is less, but from them my 20x25 would be 210.00+120shipping=$330 and from pondliner.com it was $293.22 shipped to 06483. But actually I Fed up, I ordered from pondliners.com
Much cheeper. You might want to consider making it smaller if your on a budget that whay shipping is cheeper as the biggest you can ship is the 20x25. Othewise it has to go freight...

Reaction score
BBK,
did you buy an epdm sheet from Lowes that had the "special little fish safe LOGO?" or did you buy the same liner put in gardens for weed control.
Eureka! i hadn't thought of this. i was just molesting Firestone corporate Tech service about whether this "fish safe LOGO" meant anything when the "technical spec's" were exactly the same for RubberGard and PondGard.
if you used the same liner for a garden, i'll make budget!
roscoooooooo!

Reaction score
aviator - location is amarillo, TX. pondliner, 25'x25' is $275 and shipping is $125.

BBK,
over the phone, Homedepot and Lowes don't carry this width. they've liners for ponds, but much smaller. i'm calling sutherlands and also plan on visting the Home depot to determine whether it is in the painting or roofing sections

i think justliners.com is by far the cheapest this week. who knows who will have best pricing next week.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
roscogruen said:
koiguy1969,
it will be the, heyyy, are you shane, on youtube? with the Paintball bucket skimmer?

it is a koi pond for girlfriend.

no i'm not shane from youtube, but i am nightstalkerrc on youtube...i see you say you want a pump to supply filter and falls. wheres the water thru th filter going to return to pond? one pump> one nice size filter> one fall in line. simple functional and less room for error. build your falls around your filter.

Reaction score
roscogruen said:
aviator - location is amarillo, TX. pondliner, 25'x25' is $275 and shipping is $125.

BBK,
over the phone, Homedepot and Lowes don't carry this width. they've liners for ponds, but much smaller. i'm calling sutherlands and also plan on visting the Home depot to determine whether it is in the painting or roofing sections

i think justliners.com is by far the cheapest this week. who knows who will have best pricing next week.

Well a 25' x 30' from pondliners.com is $281.25 so if you could get it shipped for about the same it would give you some extra. To bad they dont have 25x25 for some reason, or maybe they just dont list it. However you will have to call or request a freight qoute from them as it doesnt calculate it like other sites. When she quated me when I was looking at the 60mil liner that was more the 150 lbs it took 3 days for them to call me and she quoted the weight higher than it showed online here so im not sure if she messed up, but I decided to go with 45 mil anyways. She just called me know to confirm I got everything cause fedex never updated the website. 888-895-6826.
Dont buy from HD. My local pond store was crazy expensive.

Again I would make a 20'x25' liner work if I were you. It would be $312 shipped fro pondliners.com or $325 from justliners.com

BBK

Reaction score
I don't remember the exact measurements of what I used. I'm thinking it was 12X15 or something like that. They had 2 types, the thin PVC one and the thick 45mm one. I got the 45.

Reaction score
aviator,
what are you SMOKING man? pondliners is much more expensive than justliners.com.
anyhow, i'm using HPDE liner from a supplier here in town.

will my idea to put a ball valve in-line to filter to split some water off to waterfall? the pond will be ~3000gal, the pump will be 5000gal per hour at the height of the filter so it seems okay. what about your experience in "the pond?"

it rained last night and today so work is on hold until tomorrow morning...r

Ask a Question