Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b-10a
Country
United States
Howdy, y'all!
Question...
Does my "pond" need substrate?
I was planning on dirting the thing (much like I do my aquariums) and covering with pebbles.
But the more I think about it, I'm thinking this may be a bad idea being as my homemade filter sits directly on the bottom and sucks water in through the bottom.
Any thoughts/concerns/ideas/warnings?
Thanks!!!

Reaction score
I tried using gravel in my small preformed pond, just makes more of a mess for dirt and nasties collection. I placed all my plants in dirted pots and then gently set them in the pond, works fine.
I too have a dirted aquarium, but don't like substrate in my pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b-10a
Country
United States
I tried using gravel in my small preformed pond, just makes more of a mess for dirt and nasties collection. I placed all my plants in dirted pots and then gently set them in the pond, works fine.
I too have a dirted aquarium, but don't like substrate in my pond.
I planned on keeping my bigger plant(s) in pots. I was thinking Elodea might look good in a pond and maybe bacopa. But I think I'll take your advice and 86 the substrate. Maybe some larger rock for some hiding places.
Thanks, Tahoe!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b-10a
Country
United States
It doesn't "need" substrate, but of course a more diverse ecosystem will help your pond with higher water quality.
A filter sitting on that substrate is not recommended.
Keep the fish load low and you'll need minimal filtration.
Thanks for the reply, Mitch!

Ask a Question