125 gal discus tank

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Recently finished building the stand and plumbing the sump to the 125 gal tank. It's been a long process but feels good to be finished. I moved the 4 discus from the 75 gal tank that contained a gravel substrate with plants and drift wood. After lots of research I decided to try bare bottom with potted plants. I have the drift wood soaking in another tank. Once it's water logged I plan on placing it in the middle. The final step will be adding 6-8 more discus with community fish in July.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
You are on the right track for a proper discus tank! What other fish are you planning?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
You are on the right track for a proper discus tank! What other fish are you planning?
Thanks
5-7 corys, 10-15 rummy red nose , 6-8 serpae tetra, 2-3 Bristolnose Pleco. I will be moving 2 angels 2 corys and a loach from a 30 gal to the 75 gal that housed the discus. In the process of redoing the silicone and sterilizing the tank.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Very nice @Gordo33 however I think my old koi tank beats yours by quite a few gallons at 200 imperial gallons :)
See our first ever posting from when I and Val first Joined GPF back in the mists of time :LOL: :happy:

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/hello.10491/

All the koi now live outdoors and the tank was was sold on after 22 years for £600 UKP [ a good return for glass that old I think you'll agree] , the tank is now a Marine reef tank , it took a total of five men to lift it :eek: had a 22 mm bottom and 10 mm top and sides , all the guy wanted was the glass tank and nothing else no bottom cabinet or lid plus an Eheim proffesional III 2080 , however we did decided to keep the fluval FX5

Dave

Last edited:

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have you ever kept discus or any of those fish in the past?

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You limeys,always so concerned about size
No Smaug its not the size that counts just how you use it my friend :LOL: :happy:
I think that the discus would have looked even better in our old tank :)

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Lovely. Where did you get your discus from? What temp is your tank set at?
thanks
These fish were purchased several years ago from a local dealer. I plan on purchasing more from a dealer on a Web site dedicated to discus fish. The tank temp is kept in 84-85 degrees with 2 250 Watt heaterS connected to a DIY controller.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Have you ever kept discus or any of those fish in the past?
Yes , the discus in the pic were kept with community fish. The community fish are in another tank right now. I wanted the discus to get used their new enviorment before adding the comunity fish. A friend started me with discus fish 10 YRS ago.

Reaction score
Mine are from Kennys discus and wattley. I just lost my first discus I bought 4 years ago from a LFS; had HITH but other discus fine. Big difference with good/bad genetics.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Mine are from Kennys discus and wattley. I just lost my first discus I bought 4 years ago from a LFS; had HITH but other discus fine. Big difference with good/bad genetics.
I'm a recent member of Web site simply discus and saw Kenny discus is one of several sponsors selling discus. From pictures Kenny posts his discus look amazing. What's your set up and how many fish. Post a pic in this thread

Ask a Question