1300 gallon pond in NJ

Reaction score
been up for a little over a year now with 15 koi and goldfish. need some ideas on improvement please!!!

Attachments

• DSCN7850.JPG
    DSCN7850.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 669
  • DSCN7851.JPG
    DSCN7851.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 543

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and nice stone .How deep is your pond and glad you put it right off the deck for optimum viewing .Sit and relax and listen to the water splash

Reaction score
Welcome! I think the first thing to improve is the shape, get rid of those harsh corners. Not sure what's around the deck, but I would probably try to extend it around the corner so you can look down on 2 different areas of the pond from the deck. Maybe instead of 1 large pond have 2 ponds one on each side of the deck connected with a stream. Looks like it would mean moving the garden a bit, but that's the first thing that jumped into my head.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
or if those stairs are in the middle of the deck have the pond on each side of the stairs with a stream and a small bridge at the bottom of the stairs.

I like your rock, maybe stack it lower, spread it out some. Looks like some great rock. See your netting, herons?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Looks like lots of "expensive" slate rocks, I just use cheap river rocks that won't cut liner if they fall in. The slate rocks need to be worked around the pond a little more, some can be partly dug into the soil to soften the sharp edges. You can also plant "low growing" creeping type plants that will "knit the rocks together" and soften the edges as well. I would add some tall sedges to the pond that will help clean and give the pond a more interesting look. Lots of peoples ponds in the beginning look similar, but after a while as you move the rocks around and plant other stuff it will perk up more. Things can take time too, some people are busy with work and stuff, just work it a bit more if you can, a little here and there and eventually you will have a mature well groomed pond. It already looks pretty darn good, so your off to a good start already! :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know slate in NJ is cheap and here river rock is very expensive unless you can find some nice rocks in a river nearby .But then you have to clean it good .Slate is cheaper than river rock here and egg rocks or colorado rocks are very expensive .But mostly here you see granite or quartz rock and that is the cheapest .

Reaction score
Cleaning rocks is a pain. I scrubbed and rinsed all of my flagstone with a wire brush. The process was pretty slow, but the worst part was the flagstone was so rough I rubbed the finger prints off my finger tips on all of my fingers. On my two middle fingers it was so deep that my skin just burst open. It didn't hurt, I had no idea this was happening until my finger skin started feeling really tight. I paid the price for not wearing gloves, it took about a week for things to get back to normal. My finger tips are still really shiny right now, I'm positive if I robbed a bank right now I'd get a way with it scott free.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just got a concrete mixing tub and soaked mine in peroxide and waited 2 days and then put it on a tarp and hosed it off .Finger prints still intact .

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Maybe put some plants with color around your pond and in the pond. I like the idea of the bridge too.

Reaction score
thanx for the ideas. The pond is 2 1/2 feet deep in the middle. I was in a hurry like most people building their first pond, so i made some little mistakes along the way. I got the stone (PA fieldstone) for about $200 a pallett, and used two palletts. I tried to stack it a little higher than normal to keep my 3yr old from being too brave around it. I had one encounter with a night heron last summer, so i had to put the net and the fake heron in the area to protect the fish. The net deff takes away from beauty but the piece of mind of protecting the guys helps out. I want to put some plants around the rock but not sure what to get. some kind of fill in perenials or something.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
LOL my 3 year old would find the rocks stacked higher only more inviting! Glad it worked for you though. If she doesn't get too adventurous anymore I would lower the sides or stack them in a more interesting fashion, such as like a bridge or something. I would go for more perenials, whatever you think would enhance the pond in your eyes. With that stone, I would be partial to ground cover junipers and dwarf mugho pines, but I am partial to evergreens myself. But like buckry said, I would look for a way to soften the edges on the corners a bit, you don't necessarily have to start over, just use some creative landscaping and make it an irregular shape. And naturally do whatever fits your gardening style, you have to live with the results not us, we just get to enjoy them on the internet! :) How did your pond handle the winter last year? Do you know how far down it froze?

Reaction score
Ok, well if you have Heron, then I have a great improvement for you, dig your pond down to 4' That will help a lot, and while I can't say for sure you won't need the net it defintely will help tons.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I guess when it comes to rocks what ever the state has lots of will be the cheapest. It make sense to charge more if the rock has to be trucked in from far away. I bought a few pieces of black slate here 20 years ago and paid a small fortune for that, then I bought some sandstone and that was cheaper, till I got real smart and picked up free pieces from the farmers field and the river. :)

Reaction score
LOL my 3 year old would find the rocks stacked higher only more inviting! Glad it worked for you though. If she doesn't get too adventurous anymore I would lower the sides or stack them in a more interesting fashion, such as like a bridge or something. I would go for more perenials, whatever you think would enhance the pond in your eyes. With that stone, I would be partial to ground cover junipers and dwarf mugho pines, but I am partial to evergreens myself. But like buckry said, I would look for a way to soften the edges on the corners a bit, you don't necessarily have to start over, just use some creative landscaping and make it an irregular shape. And naturally do whatever fits your gardening style, you have to live with the results not us, we just get to enjoy them on the internet! :) How did your pond handle the winter last year? Do you know how far down it froze?

i didnt have any freezing problems this year. i had the waterfall on till about november, then the laguna 500watt deicer and airstone bubbler took care of the rest! i did have some nasty green water at startup time, so i think im going to leave the netting up all winter this year to see if it helps to keep the water a little cleaner.

Ask a Question