150 stock tank

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Hello i have a rubbermaid 150 gallon stock tank with 4 goldfish. I had them in a100 gallon tank that broke so i had to transfer them. Ive had them in the stock tank for almost a month and i keep getting brown algae and pea soup color water. I have a bucket filter with lava rock and bio balls. I have a 400gph pump. I have some water lettuce as well it only covers about 20% of it. I didnt ha e the problem with the last 100 gallon one i had. What should i do

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
im new to this stuff, but did you change your water with the pond aswell as it may have to cycle

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
well you may of throwing the baby out with the bathwater
as in, the fresh water needs to accumulate good bacteria and needs to be left to cycle for a few weeks,then the plants and good bacteria are fully established they in turn will eat up the nutrients( fish poo ) and starve off the bad bacteria algae
thats how it works i think
im sure someone here can explain it a little better soon

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
You don't want to scrub any surface of the tank. You are just wiping off the good bacteria that has established. You should continue with water changes as needed, but do not scrub anything. It sounds like you are just going through new tank syndrome and need to wait for the biofilter to establish itself. Scrubbing will prolong the process.

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
You don't want to scrub any surface of the tank. You are just wiping off the good bacteria that has established. You should continue with water changes as needed, but do not scrub anything. It sounds like you are just going through new tank syndrome and need to wait for the biofilter to establish itself. Scrubbing will prolong the process.
Ok thank you. So the brown algae will go away on its own once the bacteria is established? And for the filter should i clean it every 2 weeks or what the best way to know when i should clean it? Thank you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
The brown algae will probably go away but will be replaced by green algae. Algae is not a bad thing, but some people find it unsightly. I would clean the filter when it seems like the flow is slowing down due to gunk building up. Just be sure to clean it with the water from the tank unless you are using well water. Treated water can kill the good bacteria that has developed.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agree with all above, don't scrub, change water only if necessary.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
some people recommend uv light filters to clear green water, and others here abhor the idea

Ask a Question