16 years strong

Reaction score
Hello all. New member here. Been a "ponder" since '97. Custom built waterfall filter that could have been patented but was unsure of marketability. Not much demand back then. Could still be but satisfied to not persue. Have gone through many diverse plantings and had success breeding long fin koi. My pond is kidney bean shaped 18' x 11' x 24" deep. Have a four foot high flagstone waterfall from local terrain. Powered by 3800 gph Pondmaster pump. Enjoy many bullfrogs during the year from transients from a nearby lake. Have enjoyed many different night and day blooming water lilies over the years. My consistant hardy plants are corkscrew rushes, lizard tails, purple pickeral weed, and overwintered inside umbrella palms. Trying to cut down on buying too many tropical plants for they have risen in price to $10 here. Got tired of the large koi pushing over plant pots during breeding season and sold all three years ago. Have not had any fish since then but am considering to put about two dozen or so of feeder goldfish just for the waste matter for to feed the bacteria. Most of all love the sound of the water. Very relaxing. Maybe I can learn some things by being on this forum. Thanks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcomefromgang4.gif
to our group!

Post some pictures when you have time.

Instead of feeder goldfish, look at shubunkins, great colors, would look wonderful in your pond. Not expensive either, at petsmart around 2 bucks a fish. I have a mix of comets, shubunkins and other gf, some white, some red, some long fin, some short. No koi, wanted to have plants without fighting the fish over them

Reaction score
Thank you Addy1. I will take your suggestion under consideration. Just want some low maintenance fish that could give me a splash of color. No more koi for me. Been there done that. I really did like them and enjoyed them growing up but when they got big enough to spawn they made a mess pushing over plants and eating them. I have a petsmart near and will check them out. Thanks.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and the little fat fantails are fun too .I call them butt wigglers .They are slow and fun to watch them wiggle there way across the pond .I have 2 that are around 9 years old and it is great they do not get very big and are friendly .I named mine popeye and olive oil and they just love to swim into your hand and get belly rubs .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomeballs.gif
dslegend
I just have goldfish and shubunkins also and love the ease of care for them vs koi :razz:

Ask a Question