1st Heron Attack in 7 Years - Lost all 28 Fish

Reaction score
Since I've had my goldfish pond for 7+ years without a single heron attack, I assumed that heron attacks happened to "other people", and that it just didn't and wouldn't happen to me..........

Last week I lost all 28 of my lovely goldfish. I lost the big 7" cutie that a coworker brought to me in a tiny tuperware 7 years ago. He didn't want the little 1" fish anymore. Also amongst the casualties were the goldfish we bought years ago that had turned silver, black, red and other lovely colors and patterns.

My husband's shotgun is by the door, but I don't think I'll get a chance at vengence on behalf of my little friends.

Just wanted to share.
ugh!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your loss. It can happen to anyone. I keep mine covered at night and when we are away. When I'm home and up Mr Remington and I take care of business if they trespass and attempt to steal my Koi.

Until it happens to you, it is hard to imagine dispatching the beautiful creatures. They are not so pretty when they have your babies in their mouths.

PS3

Reaction score
that sinks a bird got a few of my friends fish and my aunts last summer
i keep a net over my pond all year around

Reaction score
I don't enjoy killing things, but unfortunately killing the herons is about all you can do. And if I have to choose between a heron that didn't cost me anything, and a large investment, then the heron's luck just ran out.

Although I do have to ask, didn't your fish have an avenue of escape? How deep is your water?

Reaction score
I had the same problem here in florida.I tried the net but it made the pond look bad.What I finally did was bought the electric fence for ponds and it worked great.No more problems

Reaction score
by the way, the business about a heron having to walk into a pond is a misconception. both my neighbor and I have seen the heron fly down to right over where it's going to land and drop straight down. my neighbor put the wires up around his pond and the heron just flew over it and landed in the pond.

Reaction score
Also, i tried the new Garden Pond Guard 2 for awhile. It's very tricky to get adjusted right--took me about 30 minutes. Also it is very sensitive to wind and other movement. I didn't have a chance to see if it would work with the heron. I kind of think it would if you moved it around.

since my plan would be to move it almost daily, I'd be spending too much time adjusting it each time. also, my wife really hates the alarm noise it makes. bet the neighbors love it too. had to turn it off.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
d&rw said:
by the way, the business about a heron having to walk into a pond is a misconception. Both my neighbor and i have seen the heron fly down to right over where it's going to land and drop straight down. My neighbor put the wires up around his pond and the heron just flew over it and landed in the pond.

its NOT a neccessity , but i think they prefer to land aways from the pond and approach slowly. Ive seen it a 1/2 dozen times, them land and circle the pond slowly creeping closer as they circle! Ive een they crouch at ponds edge and sit motionless... I watched last year to see if there was going to be a challenge for territory or mating ritual or what with my decoy....before ms. Daisy asked it(them) to leave

Reaction score
How the heck did 1 heron eat 28 fish? After he gets full shouldn't he leave? A nice pellet rifle with a scope will probly end the heron problem for a while. Until another, different heron realizes there is a pond there. Then time for the rifle again. If you are in a town, the pellet rifle is quiet enough so the neighbors can't really hear, but powerful enough to get the job done. For me, a .22 rifle works well enough, as I live out of city limits. Herons are big birds and once you eliminate a few from your area, it generally takes a while before you start seeing them again near your house. At least, this has been my experience.

Ask a Question