1st koi pond plans and help

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've been lurking for awhile now and have finally convinced my parents to let me build a pond in their front garden. I'm thinking it will be about 10 feet long (maybe a bit longer), 6 feet wide, and 3 or 4 feet deep at its deepest point. I live in MD so the winters here are cold but not freezing, usually in the 30's sometimes 20's at night. I would like to keep 2 Koi and maybe a few goldfish.

I've attached a picture of what I'm planning. I edited it from the "Nishikigoi pond filtration" booklet. Basically I need help deciding if I need a UV light and if so where I should put it. Also, I need help with the filtration. I'm thinking I'll use a large bucket for the settlement chamber and then a 55 barrel or tub for the biological filtration. Both the barrel and bucket will be burried in the ground. I'll also be using a bottom drain and gravity filtration to get the water to the bucket and barrel.

So that's it! Please help me get the final plans together and straighten out some of my confusion. I appreciate the help!

Attachments

• pond plans.jpg
    pond plans.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 393

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and your lucky your parents are good on it .But you may want to check your codes if you are putting out in front of your house ,you would not want to get your parents in trouble or kill your plans on your pond.

Reaction score
Thanks sissy, we've checked. That is why my parents would prefer to keep the pond at 3 feet deep so it isn't considered a swimming pool because then we'd have to fence it off. But to be honest the home owners association doesn't enforce the rules so whats another half a foot? But at least if we have to keep it at 3 feet it would be an easier dig. I'll be in a hurry with the digging so it gets done before I head back to University.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome neighbor,
Hope you have good luck with the digging in a hurry part. Here in St. Marys it's red clay and in Addys area it's rocks! Post pics as you go.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lots of rocks lol!

smileywelcome687.gif

Welcome rengb6 The ice on my pond was 8 inches deep this winter. The 5 lil fish I have all survived, 3 goldies 2 shubies now a whole 2 inches long. lol

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome mrsclem and addy1. I will post pictures when we start. And I'm glad to know the your pond doesn't freeze more then a foot in the winter. i was worried about that!

I have a few questions for everyone. Did you buy or make your filters? I'm thinking of making a skippy style filter. Also do you have separate containers for mechanical and biological filtration? And where do you place your UV light if you have one? Lastly, do you have a container for the settlement chamber? I'd love to finalize my plans for the pond and start coming up with a budget. Ponds are so much more confusing then aquariums!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I made mine cheaper that way and right now have quilt batting in it to clean the cloudiness out of the pond and dust from my neighbors bush hog on his property on a really windy day

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The drawing looks good but I think you'll need a skimmer. The uv light is the last thing the water goes through before returning to the pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
rengb6 said:
Thanks for the welcome mrsclem and addy1. I will post pictures when we start. And I'm glad to know the your pond doesn't freeze more then a foot in the winter. i was worried about that!

I have a few questions for everyone. Did you buy or make your filters? I'm thinking of making a skippy style filter. Also do you have separate containers for mechanical and biological filtration? And where do you place your UV light if you have one? Lastly, do you have a container for the settlement chamber? I'd love to finalize my plans for the pond and start coming up with a budget. Ponds are so much more confusing then aquariums!

My pond is deepest 5 feet, I am sure that is where the fish hung out all winter.

There are a lot of ways to filter it, mine is a bog, the skippy / doc filters work great. Check the diy section there is a lot of information there about filters. Also the construction thread has a lot of info to read.

Ask a Question