1st Pond, 2nd Attepmt

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thanks snoozer! We may have been a bit too ambitious for our 1st build. :/ That's a lot of rock but probably close to what we'll end up with as well. Do you have photos of your pond(s) somewhere?

A lot of prep work going into this pond build. We are plumbing in a completely new copper free water line directly from the well that will be filtered by two 20" slim line filters, we have high iron, cloudiness and stinkiness in our raw water. Plus we are adding 2 hydrants to that section of the yard so all this is in being ran 3ft down.

Took a few hours to dig this 1st section, 3ft deep. Auto-top off, hydrants and electrical are being ran here. That hole is halfway filled up now too!
IMG_0517.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

Drilled some barrels and a tub (70x40x33) to displace some rocks in the basin for more water volume. Who needs aquablox!? :p You can see our waterfall retaining walls blocks in the tub picture as well.
IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

The tall barrel is the pump vault and where the auto fill will be installed.
IMG_0519.jpg

I'm Tired! :sleep:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
run metal wire along side your plumbing so you can find it later with a metal detector and to help keep it from freezing use the foam pipe wrap .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
You have been busy. Your soil looks to be fairly sandy which helps for digging. We have clay here. When it is dry it is like a rock and when it is wet it sticks to the shovel and your shoes. Are you doing all the digging by hand?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Wow, we have some catching up to do! I'll post this in increments.

We got the yard hydrants installed, one here near the pond, one in the garden (near the pond) and the feed line for the auto fill.
IMG_0526.jpg

Starting to build waterfall hill, burying some concrete and such from previous projects too :)
IMG_0523.jpg

Started digging the pit
IMG_0524.jpg

More progress
IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

Always a supervisor or 3 roaming around
IMG_0527.jpg

Pit dug and leveled but pitched towards pump pit, the low point where the pump chamber goes is 53" deep
IMG_0548.jpg

15x20 liner is large!
IMG_0539.jpg

Underlayment in but not finished
IMG_0551.jpg

Oh we made more barrels
IMG_0550.jpg

Liner and barrels in, with stone will hold about 700g
IMG_0553.jpg

Auto fill was tricky but made it so we can remove the fill valve for maintenance, adjustments or repair easily and have it quite low in the pit.
Inside of chamber with removable part removed.
IMG_0555.jpg

Removable insert
IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

Then we added rocks to the pit but I didn't get specific pictures of that. More to come in the next post!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
So we decided to take down another tree DURING construction,ekk! Actually wasn't bad at all. Now the hollies and birch should be much happier.
IMG_0558.jpg

Update on waterfall hill and retaining wall
IMG_0559.jpg

Started digging the pond, finally! Only a couple inches so we could get a level across it
IMG_0560.jpg

Rough 1st try...
IMG_0571.jpg

Our security guard and a wide shot
IMG_0564.jpg

Another angle, another dog! lol
IMG_0570.jpg

So after measuring the hole we discovered we had a whole 3ft extra to play with! We made the hole 1ft wider on both long sides. Added some reinforced concrete to edge for strength.
IMG_0576.jpg

Here u can see the rocks in the pit at their current level, we decided to leave it there in case we wanted to change something...again!
IMG_0577.jpg

Soil conditions were great, easy digging but we found LOTS of stuff!
A crate of old tools, toys, pony shoes etc.
IMG_0574.jpg

That metal thing was only sticking into the pond hole a couple inches, had to dig up the beatuiful berm we created, at least was wasn't down 3ft! Same goes for that piece of concrete. We actually found more than this after the picture.
IMG_0573.jpg

We filled this wagon 3 times with roots but thankfully they were all dead and easy to remove, SO glad we waited years to dig! lol We also found 3 gallons worth of glass!
IMG_0572.jpg

And last but not least...our native boulders! About 2-3" across :)
IMG_0575.jpg

Forgot to get a picture of underlayment, things were moving quickly at that point but liner in and starting to fill while working out wrinkles, which there are many.
IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

And our 3rd dog keeping an eye on things from a good vantage point
IMG_0588.jpg

Wait no, he's napping...
IMG_0583.jpg

One more post till we are caught up!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Bog being water tested
IMG_0593.jpg

Today we built the support base with soaker hose for air cleaning
IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

IMG_0596.jpg

Empty space on this side is for the clean out and garden watering pump
IMG_0597.jpg

In place. Another layer of small holed lattice and .5" plastic mesh will go over this.
IMG_0598.jpg

And there is a video of the air running HERE. We actually got even more air to run through it after that.

Now you are all caught up! Thanks for watching! ;) Let me know if you have any suggestions or questions please.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Very cool pictures! Your set up is similar to ours, except our bog is behind the waterfall. Water pumps up through the bog and flows over the falls into the pond. From there it flows into a 1000 gal underground retention - filled with Aquablox! We weren't as creative with that one! Our bog is our only filter - we love it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thank you for your comments! Sounds lovely. I would have liked an upper bog as well but the sunlight/yard setup didn't allow it. I will update soon, we have flowing water!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thanks zman! The pit with the barrels is essential my skimmer box but super sized and modified. The pond overflows into that pit and flows down through the rocks, down to the pumps (tall black barrel holds pumps) and is pumped to the falls and the bog. The pit itself is just like a pondless waterfall basin. It acts as a place to hold extra water (including the in transit water when the pumps are turned off, the barrels are drilled so water can go in while displacing the gravel), a filter, aerator and equipment storage (pumps, auto fill valve). I also only have to rake out the skimmed crap once in awhile, while never having to worry that my skimmer box might get clogged.

The pit also has a small pool on top before the water goes into the rocks. This saves any fish that may make their way over the skimmer falls also a place for more plants. The frogs LOVE this area, I imagine birds will too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I'll be added photos very soon, might clear up any confusion. :)

Ask a Question