1st pond

Reaction score
Been hovering for a bit reading up on everything and this is what i came up with. I have the 55 gal. blue drum, I've been planning this pond for awhile and finally got the ok from the wifey to do it. Had the drum for 2 years lol. gonna go with the basic kidney shape that will fit in a 17x10 area. By my calc's I need an 18x25 liner and it will be about 2300 gallons. So i guess the beckett pump w1150 will work. Deepest part will be 3' stageing up to 2 then a 1' deep shelf. One question i have is where to dump the waterfall in as to no disturb the plants or fish.
By the way i'm new to ponds but not to water quality as far as fish and plants go. I've had big aquariums. Now my house is smaller but the yard is 3 1/2 acres. I also already have the electric out there that was for the pool, but thats gone now so it will work perfect for the pond. Probably gonna have to hide the drum with a couple arborvities. I don't wanna make the waterfall too high so it doesn't look outta place in the flat yard. Gonna put plants and 9 comets

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I wouldn't be a bit concerned about building a waterfall around your drum. I have planted Papyrus and bamboo around mine and wirey vine endornes it. Looks like it belongs there. Oh I also planted some coral trees for shade. Gotta put up with the leaves now.

Go to your "User CP" and add your location so we can better help you.

Reaction score
Sounds like you have thought it out and have your design in your head.
The waterfall won’t affect your fish but it will affect water lilies.
Lilies require calm water so don’t place too close to the falls.
In regards to your marginal or shallow water plants.
Make the shelf wide enough for wide bottom pots.
Wide bottom pots won’t blow over in high winds.

Reaction score
So i guess the waterfall should dump into the shallower end since the water lillies will be closer to the deeper end to give the fish some shade since my backyard is full sun. Gonna plant some tall grasses and some hosta's around the pond. still looking into other plants, don't want too much color around the pond. The wife already has a flower garden so i'm gonna keep the pond surround on the green side. Oh fixed it so you can see where i live. I'm guessing 3' will be deep enough to over-winter the fish in the pond.

Reaction score
Like the idea of tall grasses, for interest try different varieties, while still green, different grasses will add a lot of visual and texture to the pond area.
May I suggest that you place the tall grass as a backdrop to the waterfall?
You said that your yard is very and that you felt as though the waterfall would look out of place. By placing the tall grasses behind the falls, this will give the illusion of height that you need.

Reaction score
I agree with David. I found out from experience that tall pots blow over very easily regardless of how many rocks I placed around them to hold them up! If the nice weather ever arrives here in Hamilton, Ontario I'll have to get out there and do some re-potting.

Reaction score
I think the one grass i would like to use is called zebra grass, the blades are green with white stripes. gonna have to look up ferns and see if any are hardy enough for my zone.

Reaction score
Ok just ordered up the liner and pump from azponds. have the hose laid out for the design bought some scrub pads to get started on the filter, i can get the 1/2 pvc for free so i think i'll do both. Found the rock i want to use, pa red fieldstone. just need to get so batteries for the camera before i start the dig. i'll try to keep it updated.

Ask a Question