1st Spring Feeding?

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
This is my 1st Spring and I am so excited to see the fish coming up for the 1st time since a long winter!
I haven't fed the fish since November, currently the water temp is 50, should I wait to feed them until the water is consistently above 55?
We've had strange weather in Chicago where it's been 70's but then the next day Snow and in the 30's so I didn't want to feed them until I see a string of warm weather, any other advise?

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 239
Reaction score
Same screwy weather here ... I think you are on the right path ... our water temp came up to 62 a week or so ago, so I fed them (Spring and Fall food) and then temps dropped again. Yesterday the pond was still at 50 ... They got the one meal, but back to waiting ...

Reaction score
Hi Shane, nice to see another Chicagoan on these boards! I am also waiting for this crazy weather to settle down, but I haven't fed them anything yet. I do have some algae along my rocks and I see them nibbling on that, but have been resistant on feeding. My water temps fluctuate right around 45-50 degrees morning and evening

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have only been feeding for a few weeks 85 today, have a low of 37 coming Friday or Saturday its crazy weather even for Arkansas

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
capewind said:
WOW, that is a huge swing!
Right, that is why I haven't fed them yet because we haven't had any consistant warm weather.

The water is 52 or so, if I get a few days with it at or above 55 can I feed them a little bit?
I think next week and from here on out it should be nicer, anyone else in a similar boat and have any other advise?

Reaction score
I gave in and started feeding ... water temp has been 52 to 56 ... My spring/fall food says for 39-50 so said the heck with it. They have really been going to town on one of my plants ... I'm only tossing a small amount once a day ... if it was warmer, I would give them 3-4x in a feeding than I am ...

Check what the guidelines are on your food.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
My Koi don't know what to do
Warm water but they haven't bread yet, crazy year

Reaction score
Shane,

I saw water lettuce, hyacinths and marginal/bog plants already at Wannemaker's in Downers Grove. No water lily's but they are already getting new shipments of fish every week now from Kloubec Koi in IA. Not sure how far you are from DG, but a nice store I go to near me. An alternative is there is an Aquascape store in Lisle, but they do not have any plants yet but have fish there as well.

What pond stores do you frequent around Chicago? I heard from CometKeith that Lurvey's in Des Plaines is a nice store too but I haven't checked them out yet.

Ask a Question