1st time pond builder

Reaction score
so ill start this off with i got a little giant pump and spitting koi fish at a garage sale for 5 bucks thats what started this saturday afternoon and was running by sunday at 12 noon

a 100 gallon pond set-up

on to the pics
caution they might be large
normal_IMG_3714.JPG

normal_IMG_3734.JPG

normal_IMG_3733.JPG

normal_IMG_3736.JPG

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
looks nice ...what are you going to build this weekend? i didnt see the filter

Reaction score
thanks

i have one i got today a oceanic filter today from a friend who runs a fish company

so i will get that plumbed in this weekend im gonna run it in my shed on a different pump that i also got

i still have to fix the waterfall it leaks as there is no liner underneath it but not too much as long as i dont run the waterfall all night and just keep the koi spitting

Reaction score
You could add a liner or a few sheets of plastic behind the waterfalls to channel water back into the pond?

A little water loss isn't that big of a deal, since you are suppose to do partial water changes anyways.

Pond looks great.

You'll get the itch for a bigger one! :)

Reaction score
Welcome...

Thats how i started as well... I had a 35 gallon with 3 goldfish.. :)

Then brought the fish inside over the winter, got more fish and started reading.. Then went to 250 gallon preformed liner.. Had it in place and said FORGET it.. Lets do it one more time and do it big..

Welcome to the hobby you can get as crazy/expensive as you want to.. Its fun..

Reaction score
ok so yeah i already want to go bigger doh!!!

i will redo the waterfall once the grassse grows back around the pond and run a liner with cinderblock wall then landscape around that with a better pool at the top after reading how it really should be done

and heres the other pics
normal_IMG_3750.JPG

normal_IMG_3752.JPG

normal_IMG_3753.JPG

normal_IMG_3754.JPG

Reaction score
Also make sure your pond is above the ground around it.. Otherwise during a good rain, you'll get all the mud and water going into your pond making it a mess..

Reaction score
it is i have about 2 inches above the dirt roughly the only place its a lil lower in in the back right hand corner which will work well for overflow to run out

thanks for the tip

Reaction score
Always was your rocks before putting them around your pond as well, made that mistake as well...

Your pond looks greats, good luck with it..

Reaction score
Ph1ngering said:
Always was your rocks before putting them around your pond as well, made that mistake as well...

Your pond looks greats, good luck with it..

yeah i had teh same mistake but the pond ahas been drained and refilled so most of the dirt is out of the pond

i will be running the filter again today after work kind like vacuuming it

Reaction score
ok so i have rebuilt the waterfall 4 times this week because i couldnt get them to stop leaking

so i think i have a good final one ill know later this week

and it better be the last im tired of building rock walls

Reaction score
I did the same thing, but just to improve the flow... Each time it got better though... :banghead3:

Its all about the final result... its worth it..

Ask a Question