2 bio-filter 1 pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cracking myself up while writing the title haha. So I'm a noob here who inherited a small 500-600 gallon pond. Purchased the house last year and the thing was completely dirt brown with nothing but a waterfall pump that had to be cleaned every few days or it would clog.

Fast forward to now I have managed to build up quite the little pond. 0 nitrites/ammonia with 8 2-3" Goldie's. Lined the pond with Hogwarts and other aquatic vegetation and made it completely clear..

This past week I managed to mess things up a bit I think. I had a 600 gph pump (with pre filter box) pumping into a (cheap Lowes) bio filter then through the waterfall (~7 ft headpressure). The waterfall was nice but I wanted to up the speed. Purchased a 1250 gph thinking that (by my calculations) the headpressure would take me to about 1-1.5 turnovers per hour.

Once recieving and installing the pump I was disappointed to see that the water quality seemed to dip. I had no foam previously but now had heads of foam all over my pond. My thought was that the pump was now pumping too fast for my small bio filter. Freaking out I decided to put my old pump back in the bio filter and now have it pumping directly back into the pond and hook the 1250 directly to the waterfall. Now the fish seem to enjoy the new underwater current but the water quality or foam hasn't seemed to improve..

So in a rash move I decided to purchase a a nice fish mate pressurized filter (I know I'm going to get bashed for not making one!). My logic was I could hook the 1250 to that and still have the 600 run through the old filter. Now that I am sitting here thinking I am wondering if I screwed myself.

So long story short.. will that second filter count in my turnover rate?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Any insight would be wonderful. Sorry for the long-winded intro to ask an easy question. Feel like backstory always helps!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada

So long story short.. will that second filter count in my turnover rate?

In my opinion, turnover rate is how much your pond water volume cycles through various pumps, not how much is run through your filter.
As long as you are providing enough water circulation so that the detritus remains suspended until it can be mechanically removed (by the appropriately sized filter), you're ok.
You may need to clean your filter more frequently until it catches up with previous long term detritus accumulation.

(oh, and you'll never be bashed here for trying to make improvements to your pond.;))

Ask a Question