2 Koi and 2 problems

DNR

DNR
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 14" butterfly koi and i believe she may contsipated. I've had her for 6 wks and she was the 1st Koi in our new pond. She has what I think may be either a seperate skinny fin or a string of feces about 4" long. I'm not sure she hasn't had it since I 1st got her, thinking it was just another fin. (I'm still very new at all this) It's located between the 2 bottom front fins and the back bottom fin ( not the tail fin). I haven't been able to find a good picture describing the anatomy of koi ( to show where the rectom is located ) and I've search several websites on constipation where one says to feed 100% whole wheat bread and one site said never feed bread. I have given her peas and if anything I probably haven't been feeding enough. One websight said to always soak the dried pellets before feeding which I've never done. Is this true?
She acts very normal, happy, hungry and very friendly. I tried to rub her belly last night while hand feeding to see if that thing might come off and she took off and hid.
Also how do you catch a butterfly koi w/o hurting it or tearing the fins?
I've seen so many pictures of koi being hand held and they appear to just be lying there very calm. I know if I were to try that she would totally freak out and maybe never come to me agian. (We're very close :) )
We had our pond up and running 3 months before getting her and the water quality checks out and is very clear.

I now also have a 4" koi and this morning I noticed it has a small red patch ( maybe an 1/8th inch around near her back tail fin with
3 small white bumps in it ( like little white head pimples). Nothing I've read on diseases seems to apply to this that I can tell. Should I put it in the quaruntine tank? It also appears very healthyin every other way.

I'd like to thank everyone for all the fast responses I've recieved to previous posts. This forum has been very helpful and I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I know at times you are probably repeating yourselves and I'm trying to check out the archives before posting.

Robin

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
for constipation...feed her skinned green peas, canned or cooked...they have a natural stool softening, laxative effect on koi and goldies....and they really enjoy them as well. if anything will cleanout her digestive tract green peas will...ggood luck!
just lightly squeeze the green pea, the meat will come out.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
LOL ,I gyess it helps but gosh what a conversation .Hope no ones eating dinner while they are reading this post .I have that book to and it is great ,some one gave it to me as a gift .good book for info .

Ask a Question