2 layers of liner better then 1?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys. I am in process of of ripping out my smaller 500 gallon or so pond and replacing it with a 10 ft by 10 ft pond. I am a mech contractor and have a roll of liner left over. Would it hurt to cut a few sections and use it under my 15 by 15 liner.

I was thinking of cutting a piece for the floor and maybe some for the shelves. Then putting down my underlayment.

Just to make it a little stronger.

I used to go on this forum some time ago but it was with another email that I no longer have or use.

Thanks.

Brian

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome!

It wouldn’t hurt at all! We used scrap pieces of liner under big rocks as extra padding - same idea.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks!! I have very sandy, rocky soil and lots of roots here in NJ. Very hard to have good strong shelves. They want to collapse hah.

What can be done about that if anything?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

I’m no pond-construction expert by any means, but what about using concrete blocks reinforced with rebar for the shelves? I have the opposite of your problem: clay. Different characteristics, but similar problems. I ended up using cinder blocks to make a collar around the entire pond and so far, so good.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you could get water trapped between the liners and cause a bubble as long as it is pieces it will harm nothing .I did it because moles chewed 1 of my liners .Put a triple liner on the bottom and on the sides and the underlayment .I put milky spore down to help kill the grubs also

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks all. Could you just dig your pond down to the depth you want, mine is 30 inches. Then put the concrete block in right against the dirt pond walls at different levels. Then cover it with underlayment and then liner?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
^this, I've got north Jersey clay, you must be south with the sand. Make your sides and shelves with concrete blocks then fill in as needed with dirt. If you don't the sides could collapse and you'd lose your shelves for plants and such.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome back @Brilis I used carpet pad under my liner. We are clay and shale, more shale then clay.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
water in the pond will hold back the dirt
Not always sissy it greatly depends on the soil. sand for instance is one soil type water may not hold back.
Make your sides and shelves with concrete blocks
Thumbs up
Then put the concrete block in right against the dirt pond walls at different levels. Then cover it with underlayment and then liner?
Make sure when your done to remove any sharp edges
I was thinking of cutting a piece for the floor and maybe some for the shelves. Then putting down my underlayment.
A few other ideas is
one to use a heavier underlayment
Place sand layer at the bottom
and a third I just found is, roofing has a product it's a 1/8" sheet of fiberglass coated in a asphalt base coating I wish I had found it earlier. it's tough stuff!
one no grub mole or termite would try to eat through it and it will definitely cover some sharp edges it was only $10.00 a sheet I used it in my bog against the mafia blocks. you can find more in my blog Going for it! phase one 12,000 gallon pond. in the pond construction forum
20180506_142557-jpg.110304
20180525_134842-19726-jpg.111204

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for all the great ideas. I am actually in north Jersey, Bergen County. Soil very sandy and rocky. It not pure sand but a good mix. Very rocky type sandy soil. Deeper I dug, more sandy it got. I am really torn if I should take a shot with the shelves I have now or wipe them out and put in block.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Brilis - are there any local pond builders in your vicinity? You could check with them to see how they handle construction. Are you able to step on the shelves with confidence, or will they fall away beneath your feet? I'm wondering if rock walls would work.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for all the great ideas. I am actually in north Jersey, Bergen County. Soil very sandy and rocky. It not pure sand but a good mix. Very rocky type sandy soil. Deeper I dug, more sandy it got. I am really torn if I should take a shot with the shelves I have now or wipe them out and put in block.
well if you post a few pics of the soil pond and shelves we can help more ... or less

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
from NJ myself Edison and my son works up there for king high towing

Ask a Question