2 out of 3 ain't bad...but what's happening to the water?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
My new (and 1st!) home came with a lovely pond; 8'x5'x2', recirculation and no fish. The water level never get lower other than due to evaporation in the summer. There are 3 pipes that deposit water into the pond, each have housing with a shut off valve. (I figured that out by closing the valves and the water stop flowing into the pond.) One the of pipes is currently off, and when that valve is turned open, water flows the same as the other two, but pretty soon the water level drops and the soil on that side of the pond is wet. The water level is below the pipes to begin with. What could be happening? Where should I begin to diagnose this? Thanks in advance for your help.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome Rebecca1906!
Is there a pump and filter that is circulating the water?
It sounds like one of the valves might be leaking.
Can you post any pictures?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If water only leaks when that valve is open, then the leak must be in the plumbing BEYOND that valve. I would do some digging (literally), and take a look at whatever comes after said valve.
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and yep sounds like a pipe could be cracked also .What fun we have with our pond problems and there is always 1 at least .The you never know what is next :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! Pictures help us a lot in helping you, post some when you can.

Ask a Question