2" system with 1 1/2" pump fittings?

Reaction score
I need to buy a new pump. The 4-year-old Dolphin 5500GPH pump is getting noisy so I think it's time. Problem is the 5500 only uses 276 watts and a replacement of the same or more capacity (Dolphin Amp Master 6250) weighs in at 500+ watts. The power bills are already no fun and I'm not interested in nearly doubling them. So I'm looking at an AZFlo 4500/6000 from AZ Ponds for about $300. Power consumption is tolerable. It's a two speed so it uses 250 - 375 Watts. I'd probably leave in the lower setting most of the time.

So I have two questions for you who are more experienced than I:

1. How well are these pumps rated?

2. Is it advisable to buy a pump with 1 1/2" connectors and connect it to a 2" system?

I've been using AZ Ponds as a barometer of what's out there. Is there another place I should check out? Okay, that's a third question. Time to shut up...

Thanks in advance!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Answer to question #2 The fitting coming from the pump is 1-1/2" the piping is 2" is fine, the other way around causes a restriction and reduces the flow rate drastically. Running larger pipe will only slightly change the flow rate and will be less stress on the pump as long as there is not a high head height that may push the pump to it's limits. As for the question on the pumps, I'm not familar with those pumps or pumps of that high a rate and wattage of use so far.

Reaction score
At the risk of someone accusing me of being an undercover superfish sales agent, have a look at this:
http://www.koisuppliesdirect.com/product/534/superfish_eco_plus_20000

210W for ~5000GPH and surprisingly cheap. I dont know if they are available in the US, but they seem to have excellent price/performance/power ratios.

Disclaimer: I have 2 superfish pumps myself (8000 and 15000) that I bought second hand. Both ~1 year old, but only been using them for a few weeks.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, vertigo72, but I can't find a vendor for this in the U.S. I can't even find the manufacturer's site to get specs (like electrical requirements. U.S. AC systems operate at 110-120V @ 60Hz. Not sure but I seem to remember European standards of 50Hz and maybe different voltage too.

Guess I'll keep searching...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have you looked at the evolution series or sequence pumps? They are good on electrical use

Reaction score
I need to get up to speed on terminology. Are "evolution" and "sequence" a type of technology for pumps? I web searched them and found vendors right away but not a clear idea what the terms mean. Yes, they do look good for energy vs capacity.

I'm leaning toward a Little Giant FP3 submersible (4900+ GPH) partly because it has a 2" output, matching my existing lines. If I set it up right I can cut the distance between the bottom drain and the filter by about 2/3. Currently the line has to go out to the opposite side of the deck (the only place there was room to install the pump and UV), then back to the filter/water fall. I should be able to fit the UV between the deck and the filter.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Don't think it has anything to do with technology for pumps, just the names given them. I use external pumps. Little giant makes good pumps also.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I just finished a new setup, using pumps with 1.5" outlets, and all the plumbing is done with 2" PVC. My old pond would get algae or something built up inside the pipes each Summer, causing a restriction in the water flow. This setup gives me some extra space so a little algae or other plant-matter won't cause any problems.

Ask a Question