200 Gallon Pond Before / After

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Short story:
Moved into a house where the pond wasn't run in 4 years. Cleaned it free of dead animals / batteries / garbage / etc and now LOVING it. Wife originally wanted to fill it in, but I am glad I didn't. I got caught up in the hobby and now I am building a 4500 gallon pond next to it.

Before:
IMG_0008.JPGIMG_0007.JPG

During:
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0010.JPG

8 Months Later (from 1st pic):
IMG_0002.JPGIMG_0004.JPGIMG_0005.JPG

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
It used to be that the real estate had people filling in ponds prior to putting homes on the market. Nice to see a few escaping that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Wow what a difference! It's great to see that the hard work paid off :) Is your wife now glad that you didn't fill it in?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
nice pond and guessing every one is now happy and congrats on your new home and pond and all your hard work made it better .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thank you all! The wife is happier with the pond. She still worries our child will fall in it... Going to appease her with a fence around it sometime soon. Probably once I finish the 4500 gallon ill enclose them both.

Reaction score
Nice transformation! We are in a similar situation - new house that came with a pond, wife hated it at first but now wants to keep it. Could you tell us a bit more about the pump you used? We want to prevent Mosquitos. There is currently nothing but water, leaves, and a bucket of lilies in ours now.

Ours is 76 inches long, 36-42 inches wide, kidney shaped, and 18 inches deep. We had a couple frogs nearby last summer but no fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Nice transformation! We are in a similar situation - new house that came with a pond, wife hated it at first but now wants to keep it. Could you tell us a bit more about the pump you used? We want to prevent Mosquitos. There is currently nothing but water, leaves, and a bucket of lilies in ours now.

Ours is 76 inches long, 36-42 inches wide, kidney shaped, and 18 inches deep. We had a couple frogs nearby last summer but no fish.
I was originally using a Tetra Pond 500gph, but after having the misfortune of trimming back some of those bushes at the end of the season, and chopping the power cable in half, I decided to upgrade. I am now using an Hydro Farm 1000gph I got from Amazon for $55. It has been fantastic. It was the perfect flow for the waterfall, previously I thought the 500gph was not enough flow. The 1000 gph does downa 3/4in tube and splits, 1/2 goes to a UV clarifier, then back to the waterfall, the other goes to a TetraPond 15gallon biofilter, which is gravity fed back to the waterfall. With the new pump it fills the waterfall nicely and has a great sound. This little pond grew plants like crazy and is turning into a bog / biofilter for the new pond and will exit into a stream into the 5k gallon this summer.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Are you digging it yourself .I would rent a digger because I just got the partial dig out for my pond and believe it is not easy .Back breaking work unless you have lots of friends you can bribe with beer and pizza :)I need a doctor after mine geeze:inpain::coffee:and coffee

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Are you digging it yourself .I would rent a digger because I just got the partial dig out for my pond and believe it is not easy .Back breaking work unless you have lots of friends you can bribe with beer and pizza :)I need a doctor after mine geeze:inpain::coffee:and coffee
No.. I dug it all by hand its 11x16x3.5ft. I messed up the skimmer so I am replacing the liner this summer, I plan on taking it out a bit longer and deeper, should be 15x16x4.5-5 when I am done!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I didn't go any wider I just went longer and then do a small pond above that i can keep my lotus plants in .I filled in my 4 foot section and it is all 3 1/2 feet deep and had to because I hit a lot of shale.I can build it up higher .So going to do that .Right now it is 7 1/2 ft wide with straight sides and 15 1/2 ft long and that is enough for me to take care of .I just got new laguna pumps to save energy .The one is 2900 gph and the other is 960 gph .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Nice transformation of your pond. Looks great. Love all the grasses.

Ask a Question