2000 gallon pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Should I shut down my pump or leave it running? My pond is 10x12 and 3 ft at the deepest part. I have five small goldfish, cattails, and elephant ears. The water lettuce and hibiscus will definitely die. Suggestions?
Thanks, Deanna

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What area do you live in? I shut mine down, my pump is external.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Really depends on where you are located, how much you desire to interact with your pond during the winter months, what sort of plumbing you have and what your fish/plant load is like in relationship to your climate area. I've always run my pumps 24/7/365, both here in NC (zone 7a) and previously in the Chicago suburbs (zone 5a) But, I always have to be keeping an eye on things, pond-wise, during the cold months.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Have always kept my ponds running year round. However, I have always setup my waterfalls so they can’t ice dam and divert Water out of the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am in NC. My husband heard that we should shut it down. In the last 7 years, I have kept it running. It is internal. Thanks!

Ask a Question