2500 gallon pond in Arizona

jesseB3

ex-reefer
Reaction score
this is all the pictures i could find on the desktop, i will get my wife to locate the rest and post then up for me.

the pond is 9'x6'x6x deep. it uses rail road ties above ground and has 1/2" thick steel corner brackets wrapped in copper. the wood has 1" this styrofoam house insulation between it and the liner to help with temperature fluctuations. the bottom of the pond is sloped from 5' on one end to the 6' end where i installed a 4" bottom drain. the bottom drain is then plumped to the filters, which are half way under ground to aide with flowing. i used three filters, first one is a settlement filter, second is 3 6" thick layers of malata pads(black,green,blue) then to the return pump. the last filter is the barrel on the top, its filled with cut up sections of the left over malata pads running an air pump up from the bottom and water spraying down from the top. then into the trough that has plants, before poring into the pond.

i also have a skimmer, and uv light on a different cycle/system from the main system.

is still a work in progress and ill update as i continue.

here i am digging after a rain storm in march of this year. the ground is cliche.
IMG_2481.jpg

IMG_2482.jpg

IMG_2483.jpg

IMG_2485.jpg

IMG_2499.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice, I like your plant box, looks like wood with copper corners. Did you make the copper weir? very nice look.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Looks good !!
it got smaller once you got it framed up

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am sure you know, but never let your barrel dry out, that wood shrinks, I had some in arizona, one did dry took a while to get it to stop leaking again.

Forgot to say really do like your barrel too and the pond! all is great

jesseB3

ex-reefer
Reaction score
Nice, I like your plant box, looks like wood with copper corners. Did you make the copper weir? very nice look.

thank you, yes i made all the copper pieces. i read up alot about using copper in the pond and took the necessary precautions. all copper that's contacting water has been aged in the sun for a few weeks then sealed in a thin layer of liquid acrylic to protect it from the water.

BTW the pipe coming out of the barrel is PVC wrapped in copper sheet. the elbow is PVC painted to look like copper.

I am sure you know, but never let your barrel dry out, that wood shrinks, I had some in arizona, one did dry took a while to get it to stop leaking again.

Forgot to say really do like your barrel too and the pond! all is great

thank you. i like the barrel too and didn't want to have any issues with it leaking so i took a few steps to prevent this. the barrel is not a real wiskey/wine barrel, in fact its an oak barrel use to display wine products. there is actually a blue plastic drum inside that has all the plumbing hooked up to it. also i used water proof sealant on it before i placed it up there.

-jesse

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Really looks nice and was wondering about the copper but you answered my questions before I asked :D

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You better make sure that copper is on there good, copper thieves would love to get their hands on some of that.

Ask a Question