sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They are filled with that foam type stuff they sell in the bags for the waterfall filters .I saw the foam like stuff in the bags on ebay

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks Dr. Huff.

Sissy, yeah thats what I was thinking when I opened one, they are wayy too small though, I would need at least 200 to fill up the area designated for them in the filter :/

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Have you checked craigslist to see if any one is selling them .I saw lots of the on ebay and seems lots of them that sell them on pond sights .I know pet mountain has them also .They have 10 % off all orders 450 of the small ones 26 dollars and they have the pin balls

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
You have to look around. I found bioballs cheapest on Amazon and Kaldness media cheapest on e-bay.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Ok, thanks ya'll I will look at those places and see what I can find.

Thats good to hear Koiguy, Was one of my main concerns was how long those totes last.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
had mine for over 4 years now and mine is the same one .I see lowes has them onsale for 10.97 and you can always double a tote up .One inside the other .I did that with mine ,I am one of those people who goes by Murphy's law .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have those containers but if they leak or overflow you could be in trouble .Doesn't take long for a pond to empty to the pump and burn it out .I use mine for rain barrels only .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Mt neighbor had hers split open and she also had it get clogged and I guess if water gets restricted coming out that is what happen s .I just don't want to worry about my filter .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks shakaho, Ill have to remember that for future pond projects. I already have 2 of these 27 gallons built. I would have to use uniseals for a round container instead of bulkheads which im not sure how reliable or leak free those are, plus I heard they are a booger to get pipe through it, Or I could seal it with marine sealant (y)

Reaction score
jason,

Uniseals work really swell. They don't leak (in a non-pressurized system) so no sealant is required. To get the pipe to slide through the seal easily, spray the pipe with a window cleaner. Might even be able to use liquid dish-washing detergent and water.

I do foresee one possible drawback, though. If the wall thickness of the filter vessel is thin and somewhat pliable, the side of the vessel might warp near the hole you cut for the uniseal and that could possibly lead to a problem.

To save some money, you could also use PVC electrical conduit fittings instead of bulkhead fittings. I did this with some of my round HDPE barrels. I used a rubber O-ring on the inside and applied a layer of 3M 5200 marine sealant on both sides and screwed the male and female fittings together. Worked great at a cost of about $6 for both fittings compared to $25 or so for a bulkhead fitting. Of course the O-ring and sealant were an added expense.

Gordy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks Catfishnut, I will have to remember the Conduit fittings! I can't find 1" + bulkhead fittings locally, I bought all 8 of mine on Ebay for $40 free shipping but at lowes or HD, a .75" PVC Bulkhead runs $10 a piece... ridiculous!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought my tank adapters at pet mountain.com even tractor supply was expensive

Ask a Question