$.29 goldfish

Reaction score
Hello from Northwest Louisiana.
We put in a 'test ' pond about 20 x 10 feet... mid-thigh deep....and threw in some $.29 goldfish from Petsmart. They made it for a year or two. Now I want to advance to butterfly koi....with maybe a albino catfish. These will still be 'test' as the plans are to build a larger pond when we move on land recently bought.
Right now I have a tank of goldfish and goldfish/koi crosses pulled from the pond inside the house so to leave it a Koi only pond. Only have three koi left in the pond for the winter. But would like to get more koi and like the looks of the butterfly koi.
Found a place that sells both butterfly koi and albino catfish. But, sadly they are in Waldo Florida. But the search did help me find this place. Am hoping to find other folks fairly close to give me advice and just to visit and share ideas. glenna

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcomefrogcar.gif
to our group!

There are few members on here that live in the LA area.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi, and Welcome! Wow, another member from Louisiana, and FINALLY someone from "up here." :) Where is your land located, and what kind of [future] pond-building plans do you have?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
welcome aboard! If you get down toward the Baton Rouge area I can point you to a few places that sell butterfly koi, and even know where you can find albino cats too.

Reaction score
Hi folks....Not sure if answering correctly. Will this go to anyone that clicks on the thread ?? Anyway, here goes.
The first phase of the future pond will be a quarter moon shape around an earthbag/ cob Spirit Hut..... the pond being 10 foot by 25 foot. It will then ' appear ' to waterfall into a larger pond that we will have catfish....and maybe some larger koi.....if my research says they can pond together nicely. That pond will be as large as I think we can manage,,,,also in a semi circle shape to go around a alternatively built home.
After having a crop of goldfish/koi crosses because I did not research beforehand... I want to make sure we won't have koi-cats before I place in a large pond together.
The land is at Frierson, ten miles south of Shreveport. If you out of State folks can't find it, don't worry. It may not be on your map as it only has a post office, a gas station and a stop sign,,,,no school, no red light. Hope to start on the Spirit Hut this summer and have everything in place in five or six years.
glenna...

Reaction score
fishin4cars.....give, give....I can drive to Baton Rouge. My car would be happy if I chased my dreams closer to home. Drove out to New Mexico, Ausin Texas, and Jasper Arkansas to explore on alternative building in the last two years. At least this one is in the same state.
I don't want high class fish, but do want something interesting. All the local pet shops have a few koi, but most say they rarely get butterfly koi in stock. And no one has a clue where to find albino catfish.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
OK, I am more than intrigued about your house plans! Had to look up "earth bag." Cool idea! Will this be your primary dwelling?

BTW, as the crow flies, I'm about 10 miles north of Frierson. Hubby & I have ridden bikes out that way (White Springs Rd.), though not recently.

Reaction score
For a test pond you should be able to find Butterfly Koi lots of places in a city the size of Shreveport. WalMart, PetCo, local pet shops, etc. It can be hit and miss, but pond quality Butterfly Koi are pretty common in stores. Couple of people on Shreveport Craig's List are currently selling what appear to be Butterfly Koi. Not great specimens, but it's a test pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
For a test pond you should be able to find Butterfly Koi lots of places in a city the size of Shreveport. WalMart, PetCo, local pet shops, etc. It can be hit and miss, but pond quality Butterfly Koi are pretty common in stores. Couple of people on Shreveport Craig's List are currently selling what appear to be Butterfly Koi. Not great specimens, but it's a test pond.

Not too sure about local availability, but then I haven't looked beyond the pet stores, and I haven't been searching for koi [just goldfish]. One of the members here has posted that she's had success [with goldfish] at PetSmart by shopping frequently and going on the days they get their fish in -- it seems there are occasional NICE fish that get shipped in with the regular stock, and it just takes a trained eye to find the right ones. Might be the same with koi.

Ask a Question