2nd year pond guidance

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 2nd year natural swimming pond I built and I am needing some help toubleshooting and coming up with a game plan to get my pond heading in the right direction. Here a quick background on where I am at. Year one was great, plants did well, water was crystal clear, then around Sept. last year we had a massive storm and extreme heat and had a massive algae bloom. Since then I have not been able to get the algae under control. Now the plants and slow growing, turning yellow, floating plants won't survive, however the water has been very clear all season until this past week. The water now starts to get a light green tint during the day, but clears back up overnight.

Here is my water test numbers that I know. Phosphates 0, Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, PH fluctuates between 6.5 and 8 throughout the day.
40,000 gal pond, 3 to 8 ft deep, 90' x 45'

I did just recently add fish into the pond, it has never had any. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1626886222680.gif
@Jrosco34
How many fish did you add and what kind? You need those plants to survive so as to compete w/the algae. Lots of fish poo, sunshine and lack of plants = algae.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry this thread was a duplicate. See this post for continuation.

Ask a Question