3,500 gal water garden with bog filter

Rex

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Dug some plant pockets into the shelves.
20180919_091945.jpg
My friend gave me some left over pond under layment. I used #30 roofing felt for the rest. I have clean soil. I would have felt pretty comfortable with no under layment.
20180919_093253.jpg
Laying the liner out. Might make a good slip and slide.
20180919_094952.jpg
Working the 45 mil EPDM liner in.
20180919_102943.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well you are getting closer to done and sure by then you will be sore .

Rex

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I was able to extend the pond out another 2' or so. I had calculated I would be able to, but wanted to get the liner in the hole before hand just to make sure.
Pond4.jpg
I haven't filled all the void with smaller rock or foamed it yet. I was able to stand on this rock and it's probably the most unstable of the bunch. They aren't as stable as if they were mortared, but they are stable enough.
Pond5.jpg
Here is a view of the rock work I got done today. I'm kind of on hold until Friday when my 2" flexible PVC line comes in that will go from the pump to the bog. Pump will be placed under the flagstone with the measuring tape on it. It will be raised up to right under that flagstone. I dug a 3" wide trench on the bottom of the pond. I will run the PVC line thru the bottom of the pond (covered with gravel) and up and out on the wall on the near side of the flagstone on the right hand side of this picture. I want to get the PVC line in and fill the pond up to the 2' level or so to push/stretch the liner out. I hate to rock the top side without filling the pond up some and the liner be in a bind.
Pond6.jpg
I'm working on getting permission to collect my own coping rocks/boulders on a large ranch about 1 hour from here. It will save me a ton of money plus I love hand selecting the rocks that will be visible above the water line from amongst thousands and thousands.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It's looking real good rex! . one question I have is it looks like there's some pretty sharp edges on one of the big flat rocks and it looks to be right up against the liner. looks can be deceiving but I'd probably slip a piece of underlayment in there any ways.

Rex

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@GBBUDD yes they do have very sharp edges. I took off a few of the sharpest points with a hammer, but I do have some underlayment under there. Thanks for reminding me though!

@GBBUDD Don't you have lights in your pond? How deep below the water did you put them? Do you like the depth you put them or would you go shallower or deeper? Did you aim them downward or upward or just straight horizontal?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@GBBUDD yes they do have very sharp edges. I took off a few of the sharpest points with a hammer, but I do have some underlayment under there. Thanks for reminding me though!

@GBBUDD Don't you have lights in your pond? How deep below the water did you put them? Do you like the depth you put them or would you go shallower or deeper? Did you aim them downward or upward or just straight horizontal?
I do have aquascapes 1 watt leds and I placed 5 lights along the patio facing the direction of view from the patio. they are 16 inches down and most of them are pointing across the pond at key boulders and the likes of the fish cave so you can watch them swim in and out. one light how ever is directed toward the surface close to one of the return jets it gives off a shimmer in the pond those are all the pendent type that have the small mounting stick.I did not use the sticks but they have a more direct light then does the hockey puck 1 watt lights I bought 6 of each. I placed the pucks up against rocks facing the water falls and at boulders out of the water but at the waters edge again giving off the shimmer of light. and those illuminate all the way up a giant maple tree it's amazing what 1 watt led illuminates. I like the depth I didn't want any chance of ice getting to the lights that's where I feel so many complain there lights leek over time. I did get the 18 watt transformer and all the lights are on the one so far so good I let the lights burn all night long sun down to sun up as I am still lacking on a fence page 16 has some videos of the lights https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/going-for-it-phase-one-12-000-gallon-pond.22563/page-16
now the light at flickers on the falls is actualy under the falls stone and the flashing is water droping onto the light. but that light was a little harsh for us we like subtle lighting and have all the lights in the water pointing to where we want it page 17 has a hdr photo showing the lights and how it illuminates the tree and others
.https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/going-for-it-phase-one-12-000-gallon-pond.22563/page-17

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'll update this post with pics as I make progress.

It would actually be a better idea to start a new topic in the DIY section or even start a Showcase - that way, when people are looking for advice and ideas they can find your posts as a resource (people wouldn't think to look in the Introductions section for stuff like that). Hope that's ok! (y)

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Looking good. You're making great progress.

Rex

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I just had to add some water. Good news is it is no leaks so far. I also got some more rocking done. The slightly curved cinder block wall on the bottom of the picture is going to be the front retaining wall of my bog where it waterfalls into the pond. I will put some neat looking stone/rock facade one the front side of the cinder block wall.
Pond9.jpg

Ever since I started planning the project, all my youngest could talk about was swimming in it. She couldn't help herself and had to get in yesterday. Dogs don't like the water as much as she does :)
Pond8.jpg

On the other side of my yard, I have a pondless water feature. The gravel bed is about 12" deep. I'll take some of these plants and put in the bog of my new pond. Pennywort grew like crazy this year, but the other plants didn't grow much. Look at that taro. Tiny little leaves all year. My sweet potato vine has just started growing a little over the past couple weeks. Maybe needed fertilizer?
Pond7.jpg

Testing one of my Alpine 3.5w led lights out.
Pond10.jpg

Rex

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I've been sick and haven't felt like doing much pond construction work. I used a 1 1/2"x2" flexible connector to connect my 4,100gph Alpine Eco-Sphere to my 2" flexible pvc.
Pond11.jpg

Set it on a few rocks. A piece of flagstone will be on top of it to hide it. Not for sure it's going to be very easy to get the pump out to clean it. That flagstone piece I have is heavy. I may have to engineer something else
Pond12.jpg

In all the pond construction videos I have watched and all the forums I have read, I really couldn't find how others were hiding their pump tubing. I dug a 3" trench in the bottom of the pond where I wanted this tubing to be before I put my liner in. I'm not finished hiding it, but here is a pic of my work in progress. On the vertical walls, I hope to hide it with the larger rocks.
Pond13.jpg

Rex

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
So I took a break from pond building, but I'm back at it. I got access to a ranch to collect the rocks I'm going to use as coping stones. With just a dolly and some back breaking work, I was able to get some good rocks. I don't know how much these weigh, but I figure the bigger ones are several hundred pounds.

Gathering1.jpg
Gathering2.jpg
Gathering3.jpg

Still have more coping to go and have to finish up my bog.
Coping.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You're doing a great job @Rex ...I still owe you that prize...sending you a pm now

Ask a Question