3500 to 4000 gallon pond filter

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Need recommendations for a pond filter (external or submersed, haven't found a preferred one yet) that can filter a 4000 gallon pond.
Fish stock will be low to medium and it will be lushly planted.
Thanks

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used stock tank and lava rock and plants in it in pots so I can pull them and trim the roots 5000+ gallon pond and also put an air stone in each filter

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Either way I guess as long as it can filter that large of a pond, I have blue water buckets I can create levels in but in Hopefully going too find a filter that is more concealed and goes pretty unnoticed

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@DutchMuch Have you done a google search for DIY pond filters? There are tons of them out there, including the ever [un]popular Skippy. There are also DIY trickle towers which are excellent at maintaining your good bacteria which in turn improves water quality. BUT, for TT's you have to have good mechanical filtration for the water before it gets to the tower, which brings you back to something like a DIY basket enclosure for your pump -- it ends up being a 2-part system.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@DutchMuch Have you done a google search for DIY pond filters? There are tons of them out there, including the ever [un]popular Skippy. There are also DIY trickle towers which are excellent at maintaining your good bacteria which in turn improves water quality. BUT, for TT's you have to have good mechanical filtration for the water before it gets to the tower, which brings you back to something like a DIY basket enclosure for your pump -- it ends up being a 2-part system.
I would personally love the project of s diy but it wouldn't hide well in the garden... What Is a good Buy filter?

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I used stock tank and lava rock and plants in it in pots so I can pull them and trim the roots 5000+ gallon pond and also put an air stone in each filter
I have a spare stock tank, could I hook it up to a waterfall you think sissy as an outflow?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Of course all you need is a drill and tank adapters and lava rock and plants to eat up nutrients and you will be surprised .You can bury the stock tank up to the adapter and put the liner around the tank adapter .Mine is above because I wanted the liner under it so if it leaked water would go back into the pond
100_6251.JPG
tanks and bulk head adapters 018.JPG
build stuff and pond 11-17-2015 016.JPG

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Did you use PVC to get the water from the tank to the waterfall?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
You will have a hard time locating a submersible filter for that size pond. Most of the respected pond equipment manufacturers offer 'box' Waterfall filters that will handle that size pond and larger. They are easy to disguise. I will post a photo or two when I get back on my other computer.
Stay away from pressure and canister filters unless this will be a dedicated Koi pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I never go with 1 pump always 2 pumps .I have a 2400 gph and a 2900 gph and a smaller one for the uv and will never use just 1 pump after over 10 years ago having a pump burn out and having to rush out and get one i did not like .I have used sump pump hose for this pond since I rebuilt it several times .I prefer my hose in the pond also less worry about it leaking and emptying the pond .I don't need that worry .Every thing is designed if it leaks it runs back into the pond .sump pump hose at 10 dollars and original hose that I bought that long ago lasts and makes me happy .I also have 2 filters .you can see the hose in the bottom corner of the pic .You don't need a lot of money just nerve and knowledge to think outside the box .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
DutchMutch, think of an outdoor pond the same as an indoor aquarium except you will have a higher organic load plus a higher mineral deposit load (airborne dust and atmospheric pollutants) so you will need healthier plant and bacterial populations to handle that plus a stronger water circulation pattern to accommodate those differences. You also won't have as much control over lighting and water temperature.
With your indoor aquarium knowledge, I'm sure you can figure out something close to adequate filtration and recognize when the water quality is starting to deteriorate and when to step in and adjust things.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you all for the reply's, thanks especially @sissy for the stock tank idea i think that is what i am going to use. Feeding into the/a waterfall and some other ideas i have to modify it in the thinker!
Thanks all
Nate

Ask a Question