4-5 hrs direct light enough for hardy lilies?

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This is exactly what it sounds like...would 4-5 hrs of direct sunlight be enough to convince a hardy lily to bloom? My container water garden is going to be in a fairly shaded area to avoid cooking both the pond and its fishy occupants.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Should be enough. Maybe some other members in Zone 5 or close to will speak up. I know is my Zone 9a four hours of direct sunlight is equivalent to a full day in Zone 4.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thats all mine needed to completely take over my pond.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Four hours MINIMUM for your lilies to bloom consistently! Less than that will give you leaves, but few if any flowers. At least in zone 5.
John

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
OK! Guess I'll go ahead with a lily then...thank you! By the way...when do you put the hardy lilies into ponds? I was thinking as soon as the water started to consistently stay above freezing, but I may be wrong...should I wait until water temps are consistently in the 50's?

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Wherever yiu buy them from probably has them outside by now,if so just bring them home and drop them in. For winter just make sure they are deep enough to not freeze.

Reaction score
Yes but there are certain hardy waterlilliies that can do part shade better than others. Helvola, a Pygmy yellow, is one. There are some others (maybe Marliac hybrids?).

Ask a Question