4" bottom drain pipework question

whiskey

Always trying to perfect something fishy
Reaction score
Please see photo

Right if i run 4" tee, off 4" bottom drain, whilst using two 2" reducers on either ends [ 2+2=4"] or the same as before but, with an extra 2" from middle of tee, would the flow/draw be the same, or increased, as you can only get so much flow through a 4" pipe [14,400gph]
Tried the first test using two reducers either end, but need more volume of water to run third pump.
My thinking is im not getting max from pipework having 2" reducers on either end but need them to feed sieves, so by opening up another opening in pipework this should increase water flow/draw............................................................................AM I RIGHT OR WRONG.

whiskey

Attachments

• DSC01650.JPG
    DSC01650.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 325
Reaction score
Looks sketchy to me Whiskey.
I'd just run the 4" pipe out to the filters then T off of there, and build in a 4" access Tee at the point where the 4" reduces to the 2" pipes in case you get a blockage (fish) stuck in there.
Also I wouldn't use hose clamps on anything that was going to be buried and inaccessible.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Mucky wrote:
Also I wouldn't use hose clamps on anything that was going to be buried and inaccessible.

Would also get rid/not use those rubber reducers they rot crack and leak and if this is going under ground I would specifkly
do something better.

Ruben

whiskey

Reaction score
this pipework not underground, its inside its own chamber, so no issues with leaks etc.

the question was about volume of water coming through the pipe.

which would be greater ?

whiskey

Reaction score
So you are saying, you have two 2: tees splitting off that 4" line, and if you add one more 2" line splitting off that tee for a total of three 2" lines, would you get more flow? The answer would be YES, because two 2" lines won't allow as much flow as one 4" line. In fact three 2" lines will still not add up to the total volume flow as one 4" line, you could add one more 2" line for a total of four 2" lines, after that adding any more 2" lines would be redundant.
One 4" circle has an area of 12.566 square" where three 2" circles only has an area of 9.424 square" . Four 2" circles has the same area as one 4" circle.
area-of-a-circle.gif

whiskey

Reaction score
THANKS MUCKY WATERS GLAD SOMEONE ON HERE GOT SOME CIRCLE NAVIGATIONAL SKILLS. :LOL: :lamp5:

THIS WILL HELP GET EXTRA FLOW TO SHOWER......PROBLEM SOLVED

HAPPY CHRISTMAS AND HAVE A KOI NEW YEAR.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
This might not need to be said for Whiskey but to be clear for any newbies that read this later.. the additional 2" line has to come directly off the 4" line.

You can't use a 4" Tee and then once that reduces to 2", add in your other 2" tee. You'd still be limited to the flow of 2 two inch lines, not three.

Craig

whiskey

Reaction score
craig58

yes your correct thats why i posted a photo showing the 2" upstand coming off the tee.........see photo.

Attachments

• DSC01650.JPG
    DSC01650.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 258

Ask a Question