4 month old pond green

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
So Back in November / December we upgraded our small preformed pond to an approx 1000 Gallon pond (8x8x2.5 ).
The pond looked superb,fish were happy and everything was great. and the water was crystal clear.
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/upgrading-new-pond.20548/
Then spring arrived, it got hot and pollen started appearing. At the moment the pond water is a murky green, Could this just be due to the hot sun? atm the daily temps are in the 60- high 70s,, pond is in the sun most of the day.
Im using a Tetrapond 1000 GPH pump with the additional pre filter on the end,and this goes into a 4000GPH Bio Filter with 13W UV sterilizer ( i dont use the UV sterilizer, should i use it ? )
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4000-Gallon...641513?hash=item58d3915e69:g:DBwAAOSw~otWhGAK

As of yet, i havn't tested the water, i figured id ask here first, just wondering if what i have set up as filtration ,isnt working well?
20170319_144923.jpg
20170319_144933.jpg
20170319_144951.jpg

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
4 month old pond experiencing it's first Spring. Still establishing a biochemical balance. You can use the UV but need to provide the means to filter out the dead algae otherwise basic imbalance is not addressed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Pollen has started here in GA also! I have a brand new pond and it sounds just like yours. I'm guessing it's a Spring Thing! Mine is leprechaun green.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
You might reduce the amount of food that you are giving the fish each time. But yes, I would leave it alone unless its gets much worse (greener) than the photos show. It should quickly clear on its own once the zooplankton population peaks. Zooplankton eat algae. Fish eat zooplankton. Establishing a natural food chain.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Ah, yes, the spring algae bloom. :)
Here is a picture of my pond last June, during and after the bloom. I did nothing but wait it out.
Comparison 2016 June 8 and 11.jpg

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
have you noticed any difference in your pond this past year as compared to previous years?
Each year the algae bloom doesn't last as long and the water is not as green. So far this year I am waiting for the snow to melt! ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Your ponds are just observing St. Patrick's Day! ha!

Waiting this out is probably the toughest thing to convince a new pond owner to do... this is where the "chemical chase" usually begins. Be patient. Be observant. Be confident. It'll pass.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
it looks very healthy for fish , i see lots of food for them yumy may b its spirulina, ,may b u can replace some water , hope it ends soon this bloom as u like clearer water
pond may b lacking shade .... border tall plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I agree, it'll clear up on it's own. In my pond, I like to tun my water over more than once per hour and add aeration.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Your beneficial bacteria (bb) has not started up. Once it does they will compete with the algae for nutrients and the green will clear up. This is called "cycling a pond". Algae doesn't hurt anything other than it's nasty appearance. It provides food for your fish, camalfloge from predators, and it gets rid of dangerous nitrites that can build up from fish wastes. Once you start dumping in chemicals to get rid of the algae your pond may never cycle, so it's best to be patient. If you don't have a bio-filter you should considering adding one because that will give "bb" a place to grow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Thanks for all the input guys,greatly appreciated .

I do have a bio filter along with a 1000 GPH pump with a pre filter on that. the Bio fiiter has UV sterilizer built in ,but i havnt used that.

Ask a Question