400-500 Gallon Pond Filter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hello all, I just transferred my 7 Goldfish out of my 250 gallon Pond to a 80 Gallon Preformed pond on the other side of my yard. I am re-digging My 250 to about 400 or 500 gallon size and still using Both of my 420GPH Pumps that I have. My question is: Is this Filter a good one to use? I currently been using 2 Irrigation 100 micron screen filters but they won't be able to keep up since I am adding 2 bigger Goldfish my brother is giving me that are around 7'' and adding around 200 gallons more to my pond lol. Here is the Filter, let me know what you guys think! http://www.ebay.com/itm/1500-Gal-UV...cfa4bd:9008d230-6f20-11e2-ae87-005056a83d63_0

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have something similar and did try one but it smelled like a sewer after 2 weeks when I back flushed it 2 or 3 times a day .

Reaction score
Jason, I built something that worked well for my pond when it was about that size. On one side where I had a bunch of extra liner, I created a half round oval along one part of the pond (my plant area). It is a higher elevation that the pond itself, but the liner is contiguous from the pond up into this area. In this area, I placed a pot that is an upflow filter from the pump. The water goes up through a planted mesh pond pot then overflows into the plant area which then flows back into the pond. The upflow filter was very easy to make and quite simple in execution.

I went to the hardware store and picked up a large mesh pond pot.

squareMeshPot-500x500.jpg

I carried the pond pot around with me until I found a nicely sized no-hole pot of about 5 gallons that it would sit in top of. I also picked up some 1/2" flex tubing, some 1/2" barb connectors, a ball valve, and some rigid 1/2 PVC. And sealant.

I drilled a hole in the bottom of the pot, connected the rigid PVC on the inside of the pot so that it is about 4" or so above the bottom of the pot. connected the flex pvc to the outside of the pot. I used a barb fitting through the pot, and used the sealant on both sides. So, through the pot, male pipe thread fitting, on the inside of the pot, a female pipe thread coupling, then the rigid pvc. Sealant at the pot edges. Between the pump and the pot I put the ball valve. The mesh pond pot contains a taro plant potted in a mixture of river jacks, walmart cat litter and turface. Periodically, I close the ball valve and clean out the upflow filter. Remove the the plant and rinse extremely well to get the gunk out of the roots. Then I scoop the gunk out of the bottom of the pot, as it settles below the rigid pipe.

I just had my first problem with this set up. The taro has gotten rather large, and in the recent winds one of the stems fell over and outside of the lined part of the pond. Was doing a fine job of wicking the pond water out of the pond. So, lesson learned? Extend the liner around the pot equal to the height of the plant. Or, only put in plants whose height does not exceed the width to the edge of your pond. I'm going to replant a new mesh pot with sweet flag, or something of a similar height

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I just use big pre-pump filters and they clean out the pond very well. The material in the filter was well digested and lots of fine black slilt came out when I cleaned it last week. Never noticed any smell, should have saved that dirt for the garden!

Attachments

• IMAG4733.jpg
    IMAG4733.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 409
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks guys for the feedback! I think I am going to try Gardengimp's Filter setup since it will be small. I will go to Homedepot today to start looking for pots and other materials. I can cut bio-material exact in diameter with my Laser Engraver! What is the cheapest/Best option for Filter material in big local stores like Homedepot, Lowes, Petsmart, etc? Thanks again for all the help guys!

Ask a Question