400 gallon pond with bog

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I made my current bog around 1/3 the surface area of the pond, comparing surface area to surface area. I am extremely pleased with it. Love my no care pond. I do yank plants now and then, only if I feel like it, do add water (automatically in the summer) but other than that ignore it.

I can count the trap door snails on the bottom in the 5 foot deep area, it is so clear.
how many

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
View attachment 103329 View attachment 103330 Below are 2 designs. I think I want more bog space, initially I was trying to maximize the pond space. The cinder blocks are 4x8x16 solid caps turned on end. The blocks on the perimeter are outside the liner, the ones inside used to partition the bog(s) from the pond in the liner. I'll cut up some cheep pvc liner to protect the liner where the inside walls touch and lay some over the epdm liner where the upflow tubes touch as well.
The pond is 2 feet deep.
i like larger pond the 2nd pic since u can add another bog later on using separate liner or external filters too if needed but difficult to increase pond volume.
u didnt tell us what type of fishes and how many u wud like ?

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
IMG_0359.JPG
i like larger pond the 2nd pic since u can add another bog later on using separate liner or external filters too if needed but difficult to increase pond volume.
u didnt tell us what type of fishes and how many u wud like ?
Agree, maximizing the pond space is best. 20 to 30% bog is good.
Just goldfish. I have 2 Comets (I think) and 1 Shubunkin. The largest is 6 to 7 inches! They are ready for a larger home. I am not decided on how many more I would add, I am hoping they will spawn again so don't want to start off with too many in the beginning.
I bought the liner with the intent that it would be the bog but the boss put the brakes on my overly ambitious pond project. The health of the fish I have currently are the reason for the new pond anyway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
View attachment 103373
Agree, maximizing the pond space is best. 20 to 30% bog is good.
Just goldfish. I have 2 Comets (I think) and 1 Shubunkin. The largest is 6 to 7 inches! They are ready for a larger home. I am not decided on how many more I would add, I am hoping they will spawn again so don't want to start off with too many in the beginning.
I bought the liner with the intent that it would be the bog but the boss put the brakes on my overly ambitious pond project. The health of the fish I have currently are the reason for the new pond anyway.
have they spawned before? it can b they are all males , these 2 look like males if im not wrong , im sure they wil b very happy in there new home :) do keep the old filter media

IPA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
have they spawned before? it can b they are all males , these 2 look like males if im not wrong , im sure they wil b very happy in there new home :) do keep the old filter media
The shubunkin on the right, nearly all blue, is the female. The large male on left (comet?) was the dad. Both the female and male comet in the middle tried to swim upstream the first year. The problem was upstream was out of the pond. when I found the comet he was stiff and slim coat dried to a glaze from his mid section to tail. Spent 20 minutes moving him back and forth in the water and he lived! He's a little crooked and has a bulge on his side and a couple tumors. Been a few years since all this happened. I started with 5 fish, 2 (mostly white) were taken by predators, an Egret I think. My neighbor lost several to it. It would sit in the trees, it was huge.
They spawned the first year and 2 babies survived so still had 5 fish. I lost one of the offspring last year to illnes and the last one this year to dropsy. By now he was inches larger than the female. We decided to euthanize him, it was tough. When the large male started to pine cone soon after I was so distressed and didn't know what to do. The UV filter had been out of the pond, so in the hopes that maybe it was just too high a bacterial load on their kidneys I rigged it up and sure enough the bloating went down. Nature works itself out and realized they are basically surviving on life support and the system is only a parameter or two away from disaster.

IPA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Scratched above designs. This is the location I want to use. I can handle the leaves with window screen. Blocked in by a fig tree and clothes line pole which will eventually be removed; whoever put it in made sure it wouldn't come out easily. Oh, I forgot who asked but IPA does stand for Indian Pale Ale. What do you think?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
? How many? Not sure what you are asking.

I think he is asking how many trapdoor snails you have, in response to, you can count the number of snails in the deep end of your pond.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Scratched above designs. This is the location I want to use. I can handle the leaves with window screen. Blocked in by a fig tree and clothes line pole which will eventually be removed; whoever put it in made sure it wouldn't come out easily. Oh, I forgot who asked but IPA does stand for Indian Pale Ale. What do you think?

Think about the beer or the pond?

Like both. Even sometimes in combination, just not while under construction.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think he is asking how many trapdoor snails you have, in response to, you can count the number of snails in the deep end of your pond.
100's I have never sat around and counted them. They are from huge to tiny

IPA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I started the expansion this morning at 7a.m and I am beat. There is a corner entering the bog area where the underlayment is stretched, not sitting on ground. Gotta fix it but just going to wait til the morning.

Attachments

• IMG_0619.JPG
    IMG_0619.JPG
    309.3 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0623.JPG
    IMG_0623.JPG
    375.7 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0625.JPG
    IMG_0625.JPG
    361.2 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0635.JPG
    IMG_0635.JPG
    270.6 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0637.JPG
    IMG_0637.JPG
    274.3 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0638.JPG
    IMG_0638.JPG
    284.1 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0639.JPG
    IMG_0639.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0642.JPG
    IMG_0642.JPG
    221 KB · Views: 183

IPA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Progress is slow. I've been spending an hOur or more every evening, and often times 30 minutes early in the morning before work. I deviated so far off of my design and plan I wish I could have just deleted and restarted. Anyway, here is a picture of where I am tonight. Tomorrow is 10 more 5 gallon buckets of pea gravel from the stone yard at 57 lbs each that's almost 1,200 lbs. of gravel total to finish the bog. I'll have 20 lbs of crushed oyster shell, hope is it an appropriate amount and my aquarium ammonia is supposed to arrive tomorrow, yeah.
IMG_0672.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Slow and steady it will get done. Took me a few months to build mine. Well more like a few years with changes.

IPA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I spend a few hours Saturday morning scooping out 500 lbs. of gravel from the bog area and buying another 300 pounds from the stone yard. I wanted an elevation change so added a pvc liner to the bog and since it is still contained and laid over the epdm not overconcerned about longevity. Built the wall to separate the bog and happy with the results however realizing all the flaws of the design. The ammonia arrived and dosed the pond to about 2 ppm.
IMG_0680.JPG

Ask a Question