4500 Gallon koi pond in progress (I need some help) :confused:

Favorite Type of Koi

• Total voters
Reaction score
Alright, I just started building a 4500 gallon pond. I was wondering what filter, skimmer, uv lighting, pump, and bottom drain would you recommend for pond this big and anything else that I might be missing. I am trying to get the best value for $. Nothing too expensive. I will probably buy most stuff on Ebay. It will be directly next to the deck (I will break down the fence in between pond and deck after I am finished) Once again thanks for your time, help, and any ideas you give me.

Attachments

• wooden frame pond.jpg
    wooden frame pond.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 1,217
  • deck red.jpg
    deck red.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 643
  • deck ske.jpg
    deck ske.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 475
  • pond outline.jpg
    pond outline.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 471

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!
Frogswelcomev.gif

They like you to introduce yourself in the intro thread.......

There is a lot of information on filters, skimmers, pumps etc in the construction threads and the diy section. Check the threads out it will help you with making decisions.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Now were talking. Another person who digs a hole and then does research. Thats how I started. LOL Tons of ideas here. Build yourself a Doc style bio filter and get a good external pump that draws low electricity. I like the Sequence but there are others.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
laughing koidaddy, did that with my first two after that read read read .......................then dig.

like my sequence too

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
They like you to introduce yourself in the intro thread.......

There is a lot of information on filters, skimmers, pumps etc in the construction threads and the diy section. Check the threads out it will help you with making decisions.[/QUOTE]

Ditto, Thank you for mentioning the introduction.

Welcome aboard :cool:

Reaction score
Thanks and sorry about that, well my name is Denis, I am 22, and this is my 1st pond. I did a lot of research on how to build it... but I'm just not sure about what filter, skimmer, pump... ill list the questions that I have, if anyone can answer them I will highly appreciated.

1. I read several places and some say the pump should circulate all the water once an hour and others say it should circulate water 2x an hour, what is the best flow-rate per hour for koi?

2. Are the DIY filters as affective as the once you buy online and what DIY filter would you recommend?

3. I talked to pond people here in Indiana and they don't know anything about bottom drain, I know how to connect it to the liner and connect the pipes, but my question is, does it connect to skimmer or filter and does anyone know a website that explains step by step?

4. Do I need to get another pump to connect it to the bottom drain in order to make the bubbles?

5. Is it still possible to add river rocks to the bottom while having bottom drain or should I just keep the rocks about foot away from the bottom drain?

6. How big of a skimmer should I get (GPH)?

7. My pond is going to have a somewhat rectangular shape and I read that there should be 2 jets on opposite corners and a bottom drain, does my design look good?

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k521/Denis_s/Untitled.jpg

8. How do I install jets in a pond?

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Denis S said:
Thanks and sorry about that, well my name is Denis, I am 22, and this is my 1st pond. I did a lot of research on how to build it... but I'm just not sure about what filter, skimmer, pump... ill list the questions that I have, if anyone can answer them I will highly appreciated.

1. I read several places and some say the pump should circulate all the water once an hour and others say it should circulate water 2x an hour, what is the best flow-rate per hour for koi?

2. Are the DIY filters as affective as the once you buy online and what DIY filter would you recommend?

3. I talked to pond people here in Indiana and they don't know anything about bottom drain, I know how to connect it to the liner and connect the pipes, but my question is, does it connect to skimmer or filter and does anyone know a website that explains step by step?

4. Do I need to get another pump to connect it to the bottom drain in order to make the bubbles?

5. Is it still possible to add river rocks to the bottom while having bottom drain or should I just keep the rocks about foot away from the bottom drain?

6. How big of a skimmer should I get (GPH)?

7. My pond is going to have a somewhat rectangular shape and I read that there should be 2 jets on opposite corners and a bottom drain, does my design look good?

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k521/Denis_s/Untitled.jpg

8. How do I install jets in a pond?

Welcome aboard! I'll give you the closest answers to what I would do, I am in the planning designing stages on my next ponds, KOI only. I can't say I'll be 100% correct, but I'll be happy to answer as best I can to what I would think would best suit myself. you will need to make that ultimate final choice on your own personal design.

Ok so here we go.

1. I would recommend 1 as bare minimal, 1.5-2 as good, Turn over of 4 or more and being filtered well, YOUR GROWING BIG FISH FAST! LOL
2.Very effective DYI filters can be built for a fraction of the cost, By buying online if talking about ebay, I would say if you study a design that correctly works for you the answer is YES, Now saying that, there are companies out there that make some fantastic equipment. BUT they cost $$$ Nexus sieve, Cetus filters, bakki showers. Lots of different filters and costs to consider.
3. yes, I do but I'll need to find it. get back to that one later:dunno:
4. You'll need to get a aereator pump or blower pump depending on how much air your needing for your application.
5. Most people will now tell you that rocks at all in the bottom os a bad idea.
6. skimmers need to be based on pond size x turnover rate x by draw in from bottom drain. several things you'll need to consider before making a call on that with the info provided.
7. I would move them to the opposite two corners, the object is to get movement everywhere, skimmer is sucking, waterfall is pushing, the two other corners would need movement from the jets.
8. What kind of pond? liner, concrete, gunite, fiberglass. can the be put in behind the water barrier, or is a pre exsisting and want to add them in. Most would run the pipe behind and add the jet after having cement blown in, $$$$$$$$:rolleyes:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Try to put your skimmer on the predominant down wind side of your pond, opposite of your waterfall, That helps the stuff get swept in. Watch the wind movement to pick which side that is.

Reaction score
WOW thanks a lot, its going to be just a firestone liner with little river rocks covering it and larger rocks against the wall. ill post more pictures as the project goes along.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would skip the rocks on the bottom and walls, they will just get covered up with junk where you can't even see them. They will collect lots of bad stuff (anaerobic bacteria), bad for the fish, bad for the water and stinks like all get out when you go to clean them.

I love rocks, but none on the bottom of my pond. Did that with one of the first ones, had trees of algae growing out of the junk on the bottom.

This is about 5 feet down, after about one year of pond running time, it was just water last year. The bottom looks rock like with the algae, folds in the liner and of course some dirt.

IMG_2879.jpg

Reaction score
ponddesign.jpg

What if I just add some river rocks at the 6 and 12 inches. and leave the bottom empty. Someone told me that ponds should be cleaned once a year and all the water should be drained and rocks should be brushed with a soft brush. I am still not sure where to add the skimmer, I was thinking about bottom right corner.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
the more rocks in the pond the more trapped waste stays in the pond, meaning more cleaning and maintance. A good running pond should not need to be so call cleaned once a year, it should do all the cleaning all the time, yes there is some things that need to be done early in the spring and in the fall as the water cools. You really don't want to drain a pond and start over once a year. Not the best approach to take, A good bottom drain and skimmer will help remove the big stuff while a good Biological filter removes the fine waste and ammonia, nitrite, etc.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Denis in draining the pond, sweeping the sides, you will be removing some of the good algae, starting over with the new pond syndrome. The rocks really will get covered with muck pretty fast. You could try them, just make sure you sweep them a lot pushing the settlement off of them towards the bottom drain.

I removed rocks out of a previous pond, they just became a real pain to keep clean.

Your waterfall being opposite of the rocks will also work at pushing dirt etc towards them.

Best place for your skimmer would be upper right corner.............but bottom right would help

Ask a Question