addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't have one, just do a retro fit system.

That is a neat idea koidaddy for a bottom drain!

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
koidaddy said:
Exactly. I keep them even mostly but have have the bottom at 75% due to not having a skimmer hooked for so long. Couldn't believe how much was there. And with no pebbles on the bottom.

I will say that here in Florida where im at cutting the liner is very risky. We have sand all the way down to the water table. Which isn't that far down. Sand likes to settle and move with the moisture, everything shifts putting stress on the liner/bottom drain and you have a leak. So for me it was a no cut situation. I will stress the importance of one especially if you want to keep koi. What I did was plumb some 1 1/2" pvc to the bottom with a 8" plastic floor drain attached face down with four legs @1" off the bottom. I painted the pvc flat black and it looks ok. Function over fashion from now on.

Koidaddy do you hav any pics of ths setup? So the drain faces down, what did you use for the legs?

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
taherrmann4 said:
Koidaddy do you hav any pics of ths setup? So the drain faces down, what did you use for the legs?

I have some. I need to find the file. Yes the drain faces down. My plan for the legs at first to use some 1/2" pvc. Problem is the drain is plastic and not pvc so the glue doesn't work. I ended up using some plastic wall anchors that thread into drywall and just screwed them into the holes.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
did you ever think of using flexible pipe instead of the rigid pvc? Wonder if that would work or would it move around too much when the pump is sucking? I have a sequence 7200 gph pump that is just connected to a skimmer and would really like to put in a BD.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I found a couple of pics but I know theres more. These are the parts used. You can see the legs, I sanded the edges some so tey weren't as pointy. The last pic is a proto type with two pick-ups. I am only using one on the current design.

Attachments

• MVC-002F (Custom).JPG
    MVC-002F (Custom).JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 299
  • MVC-003F (Custom).JPG
    MVC-003F (Custom).JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 265
  • MVC-004F (Custom).JPG
    MVC-004F (Custom).JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 259

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
taherrmann4 said:
did you ever think of using flexible pipe instead of the rigid pvc? Wonder if that would work or would it move around too much when the pump is sucking? I have a sequence 7200 gph pump that is just connected to a skimmer and would really like to put in a BD.

It should work I think. Once the alge grows on the pvc it looks ok. Mine is hooked to a Sequence750 4200gal.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Did you attach to your pump line with a rubber gasket in case you ever have to do maintenance? Has yours ever gotten clogged with muck or is there too much force from the pump for that to happen?

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
taherrmann4 said:
Did you attach to your pump line with a rubber gasket in case you ever have to do maintenance? Has yours ever gotten clogged with muck or is there too much force from the pump for that to happen?

I do not glue my intake line as it has suction and shouldn't come off by itself. It was a small issue at first due to all the leaves and acorns on the bottom.What I did was turn my jandy valve to the skimmer and it relieves the suction fronmthe BD and makes it easy to tap off at the coupler just below the water line. Now I just turn the valve full force to the BD for a couple seconds to see if it clear. You can tell by the water comming into the pot and the sound of the pump if its clogged. Also if you turn the pump off water will flow back through my system(no check valve) so that cleans it also if clogged.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I noticed in the traditional BD that there is no grate over the drain so couldn't you just take the grate off and it would suck up some more of the muck and stuff at the bottom? The fish shouldn't get suckd up since it only sits about 1/2" off the floor?

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
taherrmann4 said:
I noticed in the traditional BD that there is no grate over the drain so couldn't you just take the grate off and it would suck up some more of the muck and stuff at the bottom? The fish shouldn't get suckd up since it only sits about 1/2" off the floor?

Now you got me thinking. When I redo the pond I think I will at least cut maybe a two inch hole in it. Thanks for the idea. I think once the system is cleaned it would not be a problem with the grate. I went without my skimmer for about a year and had alot of stuff down there. Now the skimmer is doing its job.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
taherrmann4 said:

If there are fry they might, they seem to explore all those tiny little areas. I found a bunch in my leaf basket until I put a net over my intake.

Reaction score
hmnnnn, that design seems effective. Do you have any pictures of how it looks in the pond. I'll still stick with BD, I because I know they work, and I seen how much difference it makes.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Denis, I'm with you, If your doing a new install and want a BD, I think your making the right choice. Your going 4" air assisted right?

Ask a Question