4th dead fish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I found another of my fish dead today,3 others died a few years ago. I did inherit them and the previous owner had them for many years,just concerned re- the colour of the one that just died.
any ideas?
53680C28-6ADE-422A-B918-BC9C23B238E3.jpeg
94C69C0C-56AE-43E7-B047-5BACC236B686.jpeg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1630255673491.gif
@Seon
Sorry for the loss of your fish. Looks like it has been dead awhile. Hard to say why it died. Looks like a goldfish that has been changing color from oj to white. They do that. I have several that are now all white. Not sure what that black stuff is on it tho.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 142343@Seon
Sorry for the loss of your fish. Looks like it has been dead awhile. Hard to say why it died. Looks like a goldfish that has been changing color from oj to white. They do that. I have several that are now all white. Not sure what that black stuff is on it tho.
View attachment 142343@Seon
Thank you,yes it was the black stuff that I don’t get also,maybe someone on here will have an idea?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Seon! I would test your water immediately. Look for ammonia.
Thanks Stephen,tbh I don’t test for anything in the after but how do I do this, I’m a novice at all this generally just feed the fish and go

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Awww... sorry about your fish. It is hard to tell if the black happened before or after death to be honest. I don't suppose you noticed the discoloration when it was still alive?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
If these fish are relocated then they probably had a hard time adjusting to your pond. Likely used to a different better chemistry in another pond. You may have over powered the filtration of the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Might have just died of old age. Do you have remaining fish and are they acting normal for them?

Reaction score
Country
United States
That black streak on the one side has a long scratch in it (or is it a parasite?), running across the scales. Can this be an injury, caused by something sharp or protruding in the setup? If the black spots are injuries, the one near the eye could have caused a lingering, possibly serious injury. I know fish are typically killed will a blow to the back of the head, when fishing and keeping the fish to eat. Dunno how much force they'd need to harm themselves in a similar manner.

Even something like submerged terracotta pipes can be incredibly sharp and dangerous, especially if broken and jagged, and they swim into it at full speed. I'll take a random rock, and run that carefully (don't cut yourself running along same edges before dulling them) over the edges of terracotta pipe sections, dulling the exposed edges if adding them to the pond, for example. That way fish, frogs, etc., can bump into or rub against them w/o getting sliced. Maybe also check for overly narrow passages that might pin them.

Just some thoughts. Could be a number of things though from disease, parasites, contaminants, water issues, previous history/exposures, or just it's natural time to expire.

Ask a Question