50 Gallon Pond - 2 Weeks Water Quality SOS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

So its been two long weeks.

I purchased a raised 50 gallon pond for my garden with the intention of keeping 2-3 goldfish. Upon purchase I bought a submerged filter and a solar pump which sat inside and added a pure pond bomb for the bio to build. All was well except I noticed the pump only worked a few hours each day. Whilst speaking to very friendly people on this forum, I decided to purchase some plants (still not really knowing what I was doing). I went to the aquarium and purchased an IRIS, x4 hornwort (weighted down) and I can't remember the name of the other plant but its attached (in the white box).

After the first week, my pond water levels went from:

PH:7
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0

to

PH:
8-9
Ammonia:0.5
Nitrite:0.5
I quickly installed a new pump into the submerged filter which pumps 1400 litres ph and done a 25% water change.

After a further 5 days, I've tested the water and it's only got worse. I noticed the floating plants I had were dying and cannot understand whats happened? Tonight I've done a 50% water change and removed the floating plants. I left the water for some time and completed another test yet the water quality is still the same.

Could it be the plants doing this to the water? I've tested the water from the tap which is fine?

I appreciate any support on this and have attached photos of the plants in my pond.

Thanks in advance
IMG_3539.jpg

IMG_3548.jpg
IMG_3547.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3541.jpg
    IMG_3541.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 147
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
No, the plants won't adversely affect your water quality. Are there currently fish in the pond? How often is your pump and filter running...it should run continuously .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No, the plants won't adversely affect your water quality. Are there currently fish in the pond? How often is your pump and filter running...it should run continuously .
Thank you for replying.

The pump is now 24/7 which I only installed over the weekend. I haven't put fish in there just yet, not until the water is right.

Could it be because the plants in soil are submerged?

I have algae growing, you can see it in the photos along with the new residents - mosquito larvae... I was thinking of emptying and starting again?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
The plants may not be doing well as there isn't any fish waste to fertilize them Have you read up on the nitrogen cycle? It can be done with fish or with household ammonia .

I've seen some members put their water plants in a separate tub with Miracle Grow ( not sure what's available in your area ) to revive them, then put them back in the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The plants may not be doing well as there isn't any fish waste to fertilize them Have you read up on the nitrogen cycle? It can be done with fish or with household ammonia .

I've seen some members put their water plants in a separate tub with Miracle Grow ( not sure what's available in your area ) to revive them, then put them back in the pond.
I've taken some of the plants out for the time being and put them in water.

To be honest, I'm fairly new so I enquired at the aquarium and they advised to fill with water, add these plants and the pure pond bomb and in two weeks the water will be fine and I could add fish. Clearly not the case.

I'm based in the UK so adding miracle grow wouldn't be an issue. I was thinking of taking the plants out of the pots and putting them in tied pond bags. Something which was recommended on another thread.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Don't add the Miracle Grow to the pond, but rather to the separate container you've placed the plants in. What is a "pure pond bomb"?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
By the way the plants in the first photo are Mare's tail, not Hornwort. What is this Pond Bomb thing?
Here is an article about bacteria: https://www.gardenmyths.com/beneficial-pond-bacteria-waste-money/

Bacteria will build on it's own in time. No need to empty the pond just wait it out and keep testing and leave the plants in there as they are good for the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Not familiar with that particular product, but we have many pond products advertised to do similar things. I think most of us here prefer doing things naturally and having patience. It takes time for a pond to build up a bio film and the water to mature.

It doesn't sound like the water would be good for fish right now, I'd do some small water changes, or add some kind of ammonia neutralizer, keep the pump and filter going and give it some time. Having the plants in the pond is a good thing :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
By the way the plants in the first photo are Mare's tail, not Hornwort. What is this Pond Bomb thing?
Here is an article about bacteria: https://www.gardenmyths.com/beneficial-pond-bacteria-waste-money/

Bacteria will build on it's own in time. No need to empty the pond just wait it out and keep testing and leave the plants in there as they are good for the pond.
Thank you :) The hornwart is submersed (you can see them in this photo)
IMG_3548.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ah ok I see it now! I love that plant but it won't stay alive in my pond. I think the pump sucks it up. I should have planted it something instead of just throwing it in there.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Thank you, I’ll keep an eye on it but still not convinced. It’s going from bad to worse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not familiar with that particular product, but we have many pond products advertised to do similar things. I think most of us here prefer doing things naturally and having patience. It takes time for a pond to build up a bio film and the water to mature.

It doesn't sound like the water would be good for fish right now, I'd do some small water changes, or add some kind of ammonia neutralizer, keep the pump and filter going and give it some time. Having the plants in the pond is a good thing :)
Thank you, I’ll keep that in mind and see how it is this weekend

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I like the idea of doing some small water changes like @Tula suggested. Could be your pond bomb over did the bacteria thing and a lot of it died. Doing the water changes might help it simmer down some.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I like the idea of doing some small water changes like @Tula suggested. Could be your pond bomb over did the bacteria thing and a lot of it died. Doing the water changes might help it simmer down some.
Do you think daily 25 or 50% changes should do the trick?

Ask a Question